Alaways woken up by very low/high blood sugars

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a very good thing that I always wake up if I have very low or very high blood sugars.

Anyone else had experience of this?

Reactions: Barb McD

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yep. I get woken by the lows without fail. Ever since I was a kid.

The highs. Pending how high, if it happens yep probably need the bathroom, a drink. Then correct..

If you are woken by the lows? The awairness is doing you a great favour.!

Barb McD

Low sugars wake me with cold sweats & a high temperature every morning. High sugar readings never happen, for some reason, as soon as metformin went to 2g a day double digit readings disappeared. ‍♀️

J girl

That's perfect that your hypos wake you up when your sleeping, otherwise yr sugars can keep dropping and you may need help from friends/family/partner or worse still sleep until 3pm and miss work/school

J girl

It depends on what you eat the night before vs your insulin intake, l only take long acting insulin b4 bed and l adjust the dose depending on whether lve eaten something sugary the night b4 or not, but sometimes l can overdo it and hypo, or underestimate and get hyper, but l tend to wake up either way, in a pool of sweat (hypo) or busting for the toilet! (Hyper)

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since then been put on food supplement drink due to weight loss and malabsorption so finding it very difficult indeed to calculate how muchNovorapid I need

Barb McD

Heading to the food supplement aisle myself soon I think, but I’ll not drink prescription meals, I already blend my own. Atm being tested for pancreatic issues - expecting more hard news but I hold on to the fact that this whole situation with my failing health is down to misdiagnosis by blinkered NI GPs.

Woken twice today with low bg

5am. Bg 3.8 Temp 39.1
11am. Bg 3.6 Temp 38.8

Harsh for me? Yes. But such is life, ultimately all I can do are the right things and hope the consultant is worth his salt.

Barb

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heading to the food supplement aisle myself soon I think, but I’ll not drink prescription meals, I already blend my own. Atm being tested for pancreatic issues - expecting more hard news but I hold on to the fact that this whole situation with my failing health is down to misdiagnosis by blinkered NI GPs.

Woken twice today with low bg

5am. Bg 3.8 Temp 39.1
11am. Bg 3.6 Temp 38.8

Harsh for me? Yes. But such is life, ultimately all I can do are the right things and hope the consultant is worth his salt.

Barb

Hi it is a good thing to blend your own so I am going to buy a blender.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I wake up with Miao Miao alarms if my blood sugars reach 4 or 6.8 during the night, where I eat a few berries or take a unit of insulin.

Ellenor2000

I wake with lows, but not really the highs......
i've heard highs are quite tiring and a friend of mine has reported sleeping through alarms and napping throughout the day (and being suspended from his job for 3 days for absence...) due to hyperglycemia.

the mechanisms behind lows make it make sense that they could wake you up.

though I have no personal experience, so just completely ignore me

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Yep lows and highs always wake me up , always have in the 40 years I’ve had diabetes, like as most have said here it’s deffo a good thing, saying that my fridge may disagree when I wake up low sweating and with the hunger that I could eat the a##e end of a rhino but hey means I can have some chocolate! Every cloud eh lol

J girl

Wow, we all know how a hypo feels, shaking, sweating, disoriented, and non functioning, but lve always wanted to know how do you feel having a hyper (high sugars)episode?
I feel tightness in my head, like pressure, and l feel dryness and heat in my breathing and chest, almost like lve been walking for a week in the desert with no water. Then when l take a large dose of insulin to bring my sugars down quickly, that pressure quickly disappears and l return to feeling normal again. and l pee like a waterfall too.
How does it feel to you guys?