Alcohol and contolling BM with a pump?????

MattC

Hi I'm new to all this forum/blog lark :? so I apologise in advance if this is done incorrectly.

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic and have been for over 20 years I'm also a new pump user.
I have been finding that following alcohol my sugars have become erratic.
I am no binge drinker but if I have more than a couple of beers my BM's go through the roof.
I've followed what my medical team suggested which was bolus with first drinks and then nothing with anything after that, I have tampered with this recently and got some improved readings but the morning after my BM's are high again. I've tried Combo bolusing with out improvement.
With the festive season almost upon us I really want to get a hang of this, ANY advice would be great. Oh by the way eating curry is a nightmare for exactly the same reason just no way of getting control that I have found............ :?
Matt

jopar

Hi mattc

firstly welcome to the forum..

Firstly the dinking side of the pump,

I'm suprised that you were told to bolus for the first pint and not for anything else after, as normally you don't bolus for the first but do other after that?

There is another method you could try and that is using your TBR, increasing this to help out but would need to watch that you didn't over do it...

As for the currys, not sure whether you've tried this....

I find that with curry's the biggest impact in on the BG is about 3-4 hours after I've eaten.... So I do a multi wave bolus... I have about 1/4 of my bolus on the first wave, then set the cap in my case for about a hour, then I have the rest of the bolus over about a 1 to 1 1/2 period to cover, it hoeever take a bit of time and practice to find the sweet spots though

I shall leave this for the moment in this section to see if you get more responses, but if not I will move your thread over to the pump section to see if it does better there.

MattC

Jopar
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.
I'll give both techniques ago and let you know hoe I get on.
Cheers.
MattC :)
P.s I'll bare the Temp Basal Rate idea but think it's a good idea to try your other suggestions first. :wink: