alcohol and metformin

theonlysbf

I am a pretty new Type 2 Diabetic, my condition is pretty stable, last hba1c test 7.5 down from 11.1 I take my diesease very seriously.

I am not much of a drinker but do like the odd glass of wine or bottle of beer, all the metformin drug info states avoid alcohol, my GP says is okay in moderation.

Any views would be appricated.

metformin 1500mg daily

MrsPugwash

I was told much the same thing by my GP when I started on Metformin and I have no problem with the odd glass of wine or gin and slimline tonic (love beer but it's too carby for me unfortunately :( ). On the extremely rare occasion I have more than one drink, I do find that it makes me a bit queasy though but everyone's different. Providing you have no liver/kidney problems or other medical issues with alcohol then I daresay the odd drink should be ok - do watch your blood sugar though as alcohol can make it drop and you could end up a bit too low.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Mrs Puwash has given you the medical explanation. there's a social one too. a Severe hypo can look a lot like drunkenness. If thiss happens to a person smelling of alcohol, it might delay getting help.
There is an anecdotal story of someone dying in a police cell this way.