Type 2 Alcohol and type 2

cazzy1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am working to reduce my blood sugars and weight. I am not a big drinker. Food is my love. Most of the time when I am out with friends I don't drink and don't miss it. But once in a while I would like a malibu and diet coke. Is there any alcohol to have than this. Advice welcome. I never took my diabetes seriously but am now 110mmols so to stay off injections means radical changes. Please let me have your thoughts

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
To be honest although alcohol is high calorific and could lead to weight gain which most of us need to wath. it's no more problematic for T2s than normal drinking within recommended guidelines is the same as anyone. Spirits and sauger free mixers is better. Food is the downfall that's what you should be looking at reducing especially simple carbs, refined and processed foods. Cut out them loose weight and enjoy the occasional tipple. I do, and have reversed my T2 after a year of healthy lifestyle changes and moderation.

Reactions: 4 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome.
I have a glass of red wine most evenings while cooking evening meal and as far as I know dosent harm me,but we are all different.
The thing is to reduce carbs,bread,potatoes, rice and pasta ,as well as pastry ,cakes and sweets.
All the best read around the forum,there is lots of help from friendly people.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have a large glass or two of red wine most nights, and occasionally a glass or two of whiskey or brandy.
As far as I know it is best to avoid beer as it contains carbohydrates. But I do have a pint or two occasionally when meeting friends in a pub.
Other forum members have said that cider contains a lot of sugar.
I used to like a glass of Cointreau or Drambuie, but wouldn't drink more than the occasional glass now as they are quite sweet, like most liquors, so I guess they contain a lot of sugar.
I wouldn't think an occasional Malibu is going to raise your BG much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since becoming diabetic, I can only drink 2 glasses of any
alcohol, then I'm running for the filtered water.
Cheap date me now lol. ;)

knackered

What I have noticed since testing everything for the first time since being diagnosed, is that a couple of cans of lager will drop my bs levels quite a lot. This surprised me and I'm still looking into why this happens, it seems counterintuitive somehow.