1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Alcohol Key To Heart Health... in moderation of course

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by Cowboyjim, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Cowboyjim

Cowboyjim · Well-Known Member

More good news to offset that grim one on the BBC it's what we have always suspected and wanted to be true! "Moderate Consumption Of Alcohol Key To Heart Health" 8)
    Scientists have discovered that a well-known molecule, called Notch, may be behind alcohol’s protective effects.
    Population studies looking at patterns of health and illness and associated factors have shown that heart disease and cardiac-related death is 20 to 40 percent lower in light to moderate drinkers, compared to people who don’t drink.
    http://www.redorbit.com/news/health...ion_of_alcohol_key_to_heart_health/index.html

2. Hobs

Hobs Type 2 · Master

Yes, I kinda support the findings.

When I used to get the odd very alarming bout of AF during the night and the usual extra pill did not calm things down, I would resort to a large whiskey (not sipped) and within the following 30mins the AF would become intermittent until it was completely gone after around 50mins.
    I can only presume that the alcohol somehow brought about the return to sinus rhythm again. All my dr would say was that alcohol affects different people in different ways.

I do not get AF any more, but that has nothing to do with whiskey :wink:

3. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Why can't lager be good for us? :(

[EDIT: That's a rhetorical question... :wink: ]

4. Cowboyjim

Everything must be a generalisation... that's one reason why DM so frustrates the NHS.

Hobs... how did you figure out whiskey did the trick? Work your way through the drinks cabinet? 8)

I presume lager also counts... depends which sort too ho ho. 8)

5. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Hobs - please enlighten the ignorant :) What's AF? I suppose I will say oh yes of course when you tell me...

6. DazG

DazG · Well-Known Member

Not good news for me, I dont drink alcohol :wink:

7. Bluenosesol

Bluenosesol Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Strangely enough, I find that 2 pints of strong real ale drops my bg significantly. I have a low carbish meal with 2 pints and my 2 hour post prandial is always in the 4's. 3 pints appears to be the tipping point and 4 pints or more pushes my bg upwards. It seems that the alcohol pulls the bg down, but the carbs pushes the bg up and at about 3 pints, the carbs start overpowering the alcohol.. :(

All the best - Steve

8. hallii

hallii · Well-Known Member

What is "AF" please?

Geoff

9. CollieBoy

CollieBoy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Atrial Fibrilation perhaps?

10. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Hobs: - oh yes of course :lol:

11. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Light to moderate drinking.................I'll keep that in mind! :wink:

Nigel

12. Cowboyjim

WTG Steve! Your revelations really cheered me up!
    Your ground-breaking research into carbs n beer really appeals to the scientist in me! 8)
    Mind you I hope you had a nurse standing by to ensure you could coordinate the measurements... I doubt I could be in a fit state to take and record any reading after 4 pints of Wyre Piddle or what not!
    Into the bargain it would really appall one's NHS HCPs!
    Finally, I feel there is great scope here for a sharing of further experimental work over Xmas... better hope Santa (BTW anyone notice Santa is an anagram of Satan...?) brings us lots of spare strips for our meters for the yule fun n games. 8)

PS don't want ti spoil things but maybe one should not discount the effect of time here. How long would it take to reach the third pint vs how fast the carbs are being dealt with? Is it a linear relation?

13. cugila

cugila · Master

Booze in moderation shouldn't be a problem unless you have some pre-existing condition where it is not advisable or your medication might interact with it. Did that once and boy was I ill.....that was an anti-Cancer drug !! :( :shock:

The problem arises when people drink large quantities........anything above a couple of pints is large quantities to me now, a big change from the regular 12 - 14 pints I used to drink :shock: I must have been mad ! :(

Serious Hypoglycaemia can happen when you drink large quantities especially if you use Insulin or you eat too little Carbohydrates. That is when you need to make sure that you have some carbs before going to bed after having a few drinks.

The liver gets rid of the Alcohol at around a unit or so per hour but this can be different in individuals, so it isn't an exact science.

If you drink too much, that is when if you have drunk more than a few units, you are at an increased risk of having a hypo that can happen anything up to 14-16 hrs after heavy drinking. You have to make sure that your Bg levels are kept at the correct levels by balancing the Carbs and after a night on the 'lash'........best to have a good breakfast and keep an eye on the Bg levels. It isn't just 2 hrs after meals you need to be testing........

A unit of Alcohol is approx:

1/2 pint of ordinary strength beer, lager or cider
    1 pub measure (50 ml) of sherry or vermouth
    1 pub measure of spirit (25 ml), eg gin, vodka or whisky.

14. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Is one unit of alcohol (one pub measure) of 50ml for sherry etc the same for red wine? That's my favourite tipple and good for levels too :)

15. cugila

cugila · Master

Sorry Daisy.
    Missed that one off........

A small glass of wine (175ml) is around 2 units.

You can also calculate accurately how many Units are in a drink with this simple equation:

ABV x volume / 1000 = number of Units.

ABV means Alcohol by volume

16. Hobs

Hobs Type 2 · Master

... and my thanks to Patient UK for the above information

17. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Thanks Hobs. I'm OK to drive then :)

18. cugila

cugila · Master

Alcohol and Driving.........don't get me started......... :twisted:

19. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Ken, is there a story there? :shock:

20. cugila

cugila · Master

There is many a story in that respect sadly........many not suitable for a Family site....... :(

The message still hasn't got through to some I am afraid. :|

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook