Alcohol Key To Heart Health... in moderation of course

Cowboyjim

More good news to offset that grim one on the BBC it's what we have always suspected and wanted to be true! "Moderate Consumption Of Alcohol Key To Heart Health" 8)
Scientists have discovered that a well-known molecule, called Notch, may be behind alcohol’s protective effects.
Population studies looking at patterns of health and illness and associated factors have shown that heart disease and cardiac-related death is 20 to 40 percent lower in light to moderate drinkers, compared to people who don’t drink.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health...ion_of_alcohol_key_to_heart_health/index.html

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Yes, I kinda support the findings.

When I used to get the odd very alarming bout of AF during the night and the usual extra pill did not calm things down, I would resort to a large whiskey (not sipped) and within the following 30mins the AF would become intermittent until it was completely gone after around 50mins.
I can only presume that the alcohol somehow brought about the return to sinus rhythm again. All my dr would say was that alcohol affects different people in different ways.

I do not get AF any more, but that has nothing to do with whiskey :wink:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Why can't lager be good for us? :(

[EDIT: That's a rhetorical question... :wink: ]

Cowboyjim

Everything must be a generalisation... that's one reason why DM so frustrates the NHS.

Hobs... how did you figure out whiskey did the trick? Work your way through the drinks cabinet? 8)

I presume lager also counts... depends which sort too ho ho. 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hobs - please enlighten the ignorant :) What's AF? I suppose I will say oh yes of course when you tell me...

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Strangely enough, I find that 2 pints of strong real ale drops my bg significantly. I have a low carbish meal with 2 pints and my 2 hour post prandial is always in the 4's. 3 pints appears to be the tipping point and 4 pints or more pushes my bg upwards. It seems that the alcohol pulls the bg down, but the carbs pushes the bg up and at about 3 pints, the carbs start overpowering the alcohol.. :(

All the best - Steve

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hobs: - oh yes of course :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Light to moderate drinking.................I'll keep that in mind! :wink:

Nigel

Cowboyjim

WTG Steve! Your revelations really cheered me up!
Your ground-breaking research into carbs n beer really appeals to the scientist in me! 8)
Mind you I hope you had a nurse standing by to ensure you could coordinate the measurements... I doubt I could be in a fit state to take and record any reading after 4 pints of Wyre Piddle or what not!
Into the bargain it would really appall one's NHS HCPs!
Finally, I feel there is great scope here for a sharing of further experimental work over Xmas... better hope Santa (BTW anyone notice Santa is an anagram of Satan...?) brings us lots of spare strips for our meters for the yule fun n games. 8)

PS don't want ti spoil things but maybe one should not discount the effect of time here. How long would it take to reach the third pint vs how fast the carbs are being dealt with? Is it a linear relation?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Booze in moderation shouldn't be a problem unless you have some pre-existing condition where it is not advisable or your medication might interact with it. Did that once and boy was I ill.....that was an anti-Cancer drug !! :( :shock:

The problem arises when people drink large quantities........anything above a couple of pints is large quantities to me now, a big change from the regular 12 - 14 pints I used to drink :shock: I must have been mad ! :(

Serious Hypoglycaemia can happen when you drink large quantities especially if you use Insulin or you eat too little Carbohydrates. That is when you need to make sure that you have some carbs before going to bed after having a few drinks.

The liver gets rid of the Alcohol at around a unit or so per hour but this can be different in individuals, so it isn't an exact science.

If you drink too much, that is when if you have drunk more than a few units, you are at an increased risk of having a hypo that can happen anything up to 14-16 hrs after heavy drinking. You have to make sure that your Bg levels are kept at the correct levels by balancing the Carbs and after a night on the 'lash'........best to have a good breakfast and keep an eye on the Bg levels. It isn't just 2 hrs after meals you need to be testing........

A unit of Alcohol is approx:

1/2 pint of ordinary strength beer, lager or cider
1 pub measure (50 ml) of sherry or vermouth
1 pub measure of spirit (25 ml), eg gin, vodka or whisky.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Is one unit of alcohol (one pub measure) of 50ml for sherry etc the same for red wine? That's my favourite tipple and good for levels too :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sorry Daisy.
Missed that one off........

A small glass of wine (175ml) is around 2 units.

You can also calculate accurately how many Units are in a drink with this simple equation:

ABV x volume / 1000 = number of Units.

ABV means Alcohol by volume

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
daisy1 said:
Is one unit of alcohol (one pub measure) of 50ml for sherry etc the same for red wine? That's my favourite tipple and good for levels too :)

What is a unit of alcohol? ... One unit of alcohol is 10 ml (1 cl) by volume, or 8 g by weight, of pure alcohol. For example:

One unit of alcohol is about equal to:
half a pint of ordinary strength beer, lager, or cider (3-4% alcohol by volume), or
a small pub measure (25 ml) of spirits (40% alcohol by volume), or
a standard pub measure (50 ml) of fortified wine such as sherry or port (20% alcohol by volume)
There are one and a half units of alcohol in:
a small glass (125 ml) of ordinary strength wine (12% alcohol by volume), or
a standard pub measure (35 ml) of spirits (40% alcohol by volume)
But remember, many wines and beers are stronger than the more traditional ordinary strengths. A more accurate way of calculating units is as follows. The percentage alcohol by volume (% abv) of a drink equals the number of units in one litre of that drink. For example:

Strong beer at 6% abv has six units in one litre. If you drink half a litre (500 ml) - just under a pint - then you have had three units.
Wine at 14% abv has 14 units in one litre. If you drink a quarter of a litre (250 ml) - two small glasses - then you have had three and a half units.
... and my thanks to Patient UK for the above information

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks Hobs. I'm OK to drive then :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
daisy1 said:
Thanks Hobs. I'm OK to drive then :)

Alcohol and Driving.........don't get me started......... :twisted:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Ken, is there a story there? :shock:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
There is many a story in that respect sadly........many not suitable for a Family site....... :(

The message still hasn't got through to some I am afraid. :|