Alcohol..?

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I have been told by my DSN that you do not need Insulin with Beer, Cider etc but I always go High.
Last night My level was 5.5 I then had 2 pints Cider, Levels went up to 15.5 and never dropped.
I know they say Alcohol makes your levels drop but does that cover all types because Cider has a lot of carbohydrate :?: Red Wine doesn't

Gary

sugarfree2

hi i stopped drinking when diagnosed but spoke to dietition person she told me cider is a no no also strong lagers as they use a fair bit of sugar to turn to alcohol but she said that normal strength lagers eg carling were ok in moderation

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Thanks...strange cause years ago my dietician said DRY Cider was a good choice..
I do enjoy a Beer, I am gonna try Lager, see what happens

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I find that whisky or red wine is good for keeping my BG low.

Then again I'm T2 not T1, but I don't know if that makes any difference? :?

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Thanks for the replies, and the link..
I tried Lager but it went up too much.
Gonna try Red Wine....... :lol:

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Red wine seemed to work much better, no increase in levels at all... :wink:

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told to count all beers, lagers and ciders but not wine unless it was very sweet like a dessert wine. Seems like its down to who tells you what!!

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Seems to be conflicting advice...I agree :?

adm

My experience over the last couple of weeks (since i was diagnosed as T2), testing before and 2 hours after after has been that red wine gives me no increase at all in BG, white wine gives a little, whisky & soda gives none, and a pint of good beer (brewed by me) gives a rise of about 1 point after 2 hours - which I find acceptable.

So I've mainly been drinking red wine and scotch and soda...

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Obvioulsy, if you are type 1 drinking anything with any kind oof sweetness (lager, wine etc) will have an affect on your BG levels. I can offer the following advice:

If you are eating when drinking (which you should try to do) then dose as normal for your carbs if you are drinking wine. With beer, count the carbs and add them in. With Champagne or any fizzy wine, do the same, these will cause a definite spike! All spirits if mixed with soda, slimline tonic etc are ok to drink without any bolus. Best advise for drinking is to always, always test before bed and if you are over 10 DON'T be tempted to correct as you WILL drop over night because of the alcohol. This always, always happens with me! Every time. If you test before bed and you are in the 5/6/7 region, then a snack with lower bolus dose is advisable.

I hope that makes sense?! it's a lot easier to do than to explain :wink:

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
So proud to say im "t-total", haha. Never been a drinker and when I got diagnosed I just can't be bothered drinking incase things go wrong. The working out that I do also plays abig part in not drinking aswell :wink:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Debloubed said:
If you test before bed and you are in the 5/6/7 region, then a snack with lower bolus dose is advisable.

Ok I give up. What the hell is a bolus????

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Ardbeg said:
Debloubed said:
If you test before bed and you are in the 5/6/7 region, then a snack with lower bolus dose is advisable.

Ok I give up. What the hell is a bolus????

sorry Ardberg, as this was on the type 1 thread I assumed everyone knew what a bolus was, my bad!! I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest re: drinking alcohol with type 2 but i'm sure if you search the type 2 pages you will find some advice :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
No problem.

I'm finding that red wine and whisky are fine for me to drink and in fact actually help keep my BG low. :D

Every cloud has a silver lining. :wink: