Alfrezza inhaler

Just Laura

Have just been reading a little about the insulin inhaler that has just been through clinical trials.

Just wondered if anyone knew any more about it? And what everyone's thoughts on trying it out if it ever came to it... Not sure I'd be brave enough (though it's my daughter who is T1, not me) to try..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read that there are a few health risks that haven't been ruled out of it yet. There's still lots of tests going on in the UK to see if it is safe or if it will impact our health in other ways that may cause complications.
That was a while ago so I'm not sure if they have got further with their research now?
I would definitely be up for trying it if it were ever to be available here! Anything has to be better than injecting! :)

Beth, Type 1 diabetic.
Or as my family call me 'Diabethic'

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't fancy it myself, rather stick with the injections for now than risk damaging my lungs.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently the tests showed risk of lung cancer and inhaling decreased lungs performance... I think I read that they only suggest it for people with severe problem with injections (allergy, problems with injection sites, etc) otherwise the drawbacks are too great.

Reactions: 2 people

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh in that case I wouldn't be up for it!! Would only try it if there were no other health risks !!

Beth, Type 1 diabetic.
Or as my family call me 'Diabethic'

Reactions: 2 people

brendan101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People should do their research before posting negative remark about new therapies. Alfrezza has been approved by the in the USA and is available there. I have an opportunity this week to hear more about it from an avid user. Unfortunately as its not technically available in the UK I would NOT be able to address its ability to reduce or its lack of an insulin tail off although this has been extensively spoken about on youtube in the USA where meetings with clinical trial participants have taken place and they were asked for their views.

Last edited by a moderator: