AliB on Salt and Fish

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
cugila said:
AliB said:
Put fish in pure sea salt solution and they will thrive. Put them in cheap refined table salt solution they will die.

AliB
That is not correct.
Fish are often transported in tanks full of a solution made up of Sodium Chloride and water, table salt in other words, cheap and plentiful to the transporters of the fish. They wouldn't use it if the fish were going to die. It is commonly used.

An 8 g/l solution is formulated by dissolving 6.4 lbs of food grade sodium chloride (feed mixing salt or table salt) in each 100 gallons of unloaded water (no fish) or 4 and 3/4 level teaspoons in each gallon.

Ken / Sue

Yes Ken, it might be true, and it might be ok for short term transportation circumstances, but you can't leave the fish in there in the long term. If you go into any pet store worth it's salt :lol: the salt they sell for aquariums is generally pure unrefined sea salt. Either that, or the salt water needs nutrients added to it. Those little fishies need those minerals and trace elements too!

Presumably the fish have enough of those elements stored in their little bodies to see them through the journey, but they wouldn't necessarily keep very well if left in it permanently.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The point is AliB that fish can survive in tanks full of the solution which mimics the same water that is in the sea, the only thing the fish need to survive is the replenishment of the solution or the sea water and food which the fish eat. Fish don't survive in aquariums unless they are fed no matter what type of salt you use in the water, even if it has other minerals in it.

Fish and other vertebrates have a unique and common characteristic. The salt content of their blood is almost identical. Vertebrate blood has a salinity of approximately 9 g/l (a 0.9% salt solution) and a pH of 7.4. Approximately 77% of the salt in blood is sodium and chloride. The remainder is made up primarily of bicarbonate, potassium and calcium. Sodium and potassium salts are critical for the normal function of heart, nerve and muscle. An 8 g/l (0.8%) salt solution made with table salt (sodium chloride) would match the sodium content of blood.

Fish blood is brought into close contact with the environment as it flows through the small blood vessels (capillaries) of the gills and skin surface. Salts diffuse from areas of high concentration (blood) to areas of low concentration (fresh water). Therefore, salts (primarily sodium and chloride) are slowly but continuously lost (osmotic leakage) to the environment. The gills and skin are coated with a thin layer of mucus which helps reduce the loss of salts to the surrounding fresh water. Lost salts are replaced by re-absorbing them from the water or during food digestion. Body energy is used to replace salts.

So fish do NOT die if placed in a measured solution of table salt and water, contrary to what you said.

If the water is replaced at regular intervals they will survive indefinitely, they just need feeding that's all.

If you want more information about fish and the science of Aquaculture there is plenty of research and other scientific papers available. You just need to look. The information is all there.

I do hope this isn't a precursor to the infamous Dr Batmanjelly (sp) and the even more infamous salt/water diet you posted about last time you were around........ :roll:

Ken

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is Ken, the fish may not die immediately - I never said they would, but then we don't die immediately either. But the fish - like us, are much more prone to disease.

Real salt, with all it's nutrients intact, is very healing and antiseptic. How do we know that a deficiency in these things is not contributing to our failing health? Even doctors recommend salt water as a healing agent. But in refined and processed table salt we are not getting the 'full monty'. We are only getting what is left after they have extracted the minerals and trace elements for financial gain.

All I know it that since I have been 'taking the salt' - real Celtic unrefined sea salt my health has been improving - on top of removing the carbs. Many things cleared up after removing the carbs, but the salt is helping my body to heal.

All my external Candida and fungal issues have gone - these are issues that commonly plague not only Diabetics, but also people with compromised immune systems.

I am still working on Candida in my gut, but my diet is getting the better of that too and every day I am feeling a bit better.

Yeasts and fungus needs carbohydrate to feed on. The more carbohydrate we eat - and especially if we already have carb metabolism issues, which most, if not all Diabetics do, the more we encourage the growth of Candida and other fungus in and on our bodies.

I have been battling Candida and fungus all my adult life. Since long before I ever became Diabetic. Of course, being very hypoglycemic in my teen and young adult years was a sure indicator that I had carb metabolism issues way back then, but I didn't at the time understand why. The Candida was a bed-companion with the carb issues.

It is only now that I have got a handle on the carbs, that I am dealing with both of these issues - the Candida and the Carb metabolism.

We were never designed to eat this kind of food. We were never designed to eat this quantity of carbs and sugars - and especially refined, that flood - and overwhelm the gut with gluten and sugars. The fact that cultures that do not eat these foods are still pretty healthy, and cultures that do are becoming sicker and sicker is a sure indication.

The food manufacturers do not have our best interests at heart. It is all controlled by money and market forces and while we continue to eat the stuff they will continue to make it and sell it. Is it any coincidence that the fruit and veg takes up just two aisles in the Supermarket and the processed stuff takes up most of the rest!

I am not stupid, and I refuse to be taken in by it any more. It has damaged me and I will not let it damage me any more.

As a very wise woman has said - you can't get rid of the flies until you clear the manure pile. We get sick because our bodies are full of crud. If you want good plants you have to feed them lots of good nutrients - minerals and trace elements. If you want good animals you have to feed them good natural foods - grass fed beef, milk, butter etc. will always be superior to grain-fed.

We are no different. Much of what is sold now may contain calories, but we need nutrients too and lots of them, and the refined carbohydrate baked foods cannot supply enough, because the wheatgerm - the bit that contains most of the nutrients, is removed at source and given to pigs. Without those nutrients, the food is worthless and does far more harm than good. Much of it also contains chemicals and manipulated stuff that the body cannot process properly. We cannot keep throwing rubbish at it and assuming it will deal with it all! Sooner or later something has to give!

Without enough nutrients, the body keeps demanding food. What we feed it determines the degree of our health. Because I am eating a far more nutritionally rich diet I no longer need to eat as much food, and neither do I crave the carbohydrates any more.

As far as I am concerned, the evidence speaks for itself. you can throw up argument after argument and split hairs and be pedantic, but I know what I know. I, and too many others are proving it beyond doubt.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ALiB.

You posted again after the original thread was put back on track.

The posts have been split so You can discuss Salt and Fish as much as you like here, within reason of course.

cugila
Forum Monitor

cugila

Master
Dislikes
As far as I am concerned, the evidence speaks for itself. you can throw up argument after argument and split hairs and be pedantic, but I know what I know. I, and too many others are proving it beyond doubt.

Ditto...........

Ken

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best statement ever" You are what you eat" The problem today is that you have to check what is in what you eat even fresh food may not always be what we think(or hope) it is, but we do our best. CAROL

C

catherinecherub

Never had fungal or candida issues and eat complex carbs. There is enough salt in my diet.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I find it strange that you say you won't get taken in by the processed food manufacturers but you are quite happy to go along with the 'fancy named Salt processors and strange 'guru's' who are also only just out to make money.

All I know it that since I have been 'taking the salt' - real Celtic unrefined sea salt my health has been improving - on top of removing the carbs. Many things cleared up after removing the carbs, but the salt is helping my body to heal.

I would imagine that it is down to the fact you have cut back on the carbs that your health has been improving, the salt is incidental. What quantity of this 'wonder' salt do you consume per day then ?

Ken