Alkaline water

Martin153

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had type 1 for over 31 years.
I had problems due to being ill, maybe flu? last winter. A bad night hypo happened.
I sussed that by setting alarm clock for 2 am & found sugar levels dipping before going high in the morning.
Basically I wasn't eating enough before bed, it was the novorapid still acting 8 hours later!
So more food before bed & a bit more long acting insulin stopped the highs in the morning.

Well in searching the internet I found alkaline water.
Apparently our stomachs are too acidic cus of the rubbish we eat!
It reckons if we have alkaline water then this allows for 'repair' of insulin producing cells.
Far fetched?
Well it said just get some bicarbonate of soda (baking powder), £1.27 from tesco.
I bought a 2 litre juice jug.
Half a teaspoon of this powder in the jug, cold water from the tap, shake it up.
I put a bit of robinsons no sugar juice in a glass then have 2 or 3 glasses a day.
Within a month the amount of novorapid I was using dropped a lot, 30% drop.
Now I'm using less than half what I was 6 months ago.
I was using 12 to 18 units of novorapid. Am now using 5 to 8 most morning.
I've actually been using three quarters of a teaspoon full of powder lately rather than having more glasses.

All I can say is try it :)

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. I would like to know if anyone else has tried it. Though a small amount of bicarb can't hurt you.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If anyone out there is having the same problem it would definately be worth a shot.

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About night hypos;

I know that generally blood sugar level dips at 3 a.m. for everybody who lives, works days and sleeps at nights. So, I use Humalog R in the day that kicks in 2 hours, works for 4 hours in total, and Humalog NPH kicks in 2 hours, lasts 8 hours, for night time.

If you experience night hypos a lot, you need to decrease the amount of insulin intake. That generally works.