1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

All over 50s in SW England - Covid vaccinations from week 1 March

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by BRSBRI, Feb 21, 2021.

1. BRSBRI

BRSBRI Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmm, well to be honest that age range is moot as Diabetics are higher priority already and as someone who lives in Gloucestershire, I haven't had an invite yet so not sure how accurate this is!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

How come, when others over 60 and vulnerable haven't been vaccinated yet?

Something is odd about vaccine distribution.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

5. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Interesting, there don't seem to much of a mention regarding Wiltshire...

My elderly neighbours had theirs, (the first shot.) but had to go to Brizzle.. I'm of a "certain age."
    I phoned my surgury on Friday, enquiring. (First time I've spoken to them in over a year.)
    "Don't call us, we'll call you..."

6. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My GP is getting very little in the way of vaccines, I’m in six for diabetes and asthma as well as being a full time unpaid carer - still to get the call for mine, strangely the lady who sits with my son for my respite is only 50 no health problems at all but filled in a form to say she was a paid carer (2hrs a week) for my son gets her jab Wednesday - not saying she’s not entitled I fully support her having it but it all seems a bit topsy turvey to me. I’m going to chase mine up as I care 24/7 for my son and it would be catastrophic if I couldn’t care for him

• Hug Hug x 3
  7. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

AD1CCF86-0FF9-432A-8987-E2CC164E39C3.jpeg
    I’ve been told as a group 6 I have to wait for my surgery to invite me and the main centres are being held purely for the age group vaccinations. I can’t remember where I read this though. I’ll update if I do.

I can’t book online for the wider national service as this is still restricted to over 65’s and health workers. I tried.
    So not surprised they are under-utilised if they are restricting access to them.

edit. This wasn’t it but implies the same thing https://www.england.nhs.uk/2021/02/...to-clinically-vulnerable-and-people-65-to-69/

#7 HSSS, Feb 21, 2021 at 7:19 PM
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  8. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I received a text Friday lunchtime from my GP surgery inviting me to have mine, they provided a link to book and it was all done and dusted by 10.30 Saturday morning. I felt a bit rough this morning but I’m ok now. Blood sugars have been normal for me :)

Edit to add it’s my type 2 not my age that qualified me for my jab! :joyful:

• Like Like x 7
  9. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

and in Scotland those with learning disabilities....
    it's a bun fight and what you hear on the bush telegraph.....
    some of the tales I've been hearing from said parents...
    Articles featuring Ian Rankin and Jo Whiley.
    It's okay though. The First Minister said it's going to be sorted.......
    :banghead:

10. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Me and my husband had ours last Saturday - got a phone call Friday afternoon and jabbed the next day.

11. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

My whole family down in North Devon have had theirs the other week including our elderly mother.
    Two sisters over 60 too..

I feel it's just down to local organisation..

12. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I am an unpaid carer for my son. The surgery know this. I suppose i will have to wait and see. I am speaking to my GP tomorrow with a telephone appointment, I may just mention to see if their records are up to date.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. hankjam

Wish you good fortune with this.
    I am in the same position. Phoned on Friday. No clue, son is 27!. The locum I spoke to was good enough to understand the significance of such an oversight and said she would sort it... call back if nothing happens after two weeks....
    I know of four families in a similar position who just rolled up to a vac point and got it done...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andydragon

Staff Member

I have a phone consultation for my review on Thursday and if not invited at that point will ask. My medical record mentions a covid SMS but I've received nothing. To be fair their website news is saying that invites should be starting thiS week so probably soon

I guess we have waited this long, but i work in Bristol and even though I am able to be mostly remote there have been cases in the office, there's a mutant strain and my partner got it and I saw how badly it affected him... Still not sure how living in the same house I avoided it but so lucky! So am wanting to be protected and given our risk am increasingly worried. I know some don't want the vaccine and i can see the speed being questioned, but yeah... Want to feel more safe

So reading of them jumping ahead when higher priorities are still waiting, and seeing stories about poor Jo Whiley's sister just infuriates me as postcode lottery should never have happened.

And breathe..: it's not long now!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I live in Gloucestershire too and am group 6. I got the text on Thursday and am due to have the jab tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Andydragon

Staff Member

Interesting
    Maybe my surgery hasn't quite got to me yet.
    Not sure if chasing up is going to help though or just seem like pestering

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I would wait, I was getting frustrated and jumping up every time the phone rang hoping it would be the call.:)

18. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

Just spoke to my GP re diabetic review and she said I should receive an invite within two weeks.

19. hankjam

Fife: my invite arrived this morning and probably independently of the chats with GP on Friday....

nothing for son................ yet.

20. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

40 something type 2 in Warwickshire, received my invite Thursday, going 1st thing tomorrow (Tuesday) I think it's just a case of how many people are in your cohort for you GP practice area, and the take up of those who are eligible (I also think it helps my practice name starts with an A!)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook