All over the place

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
hello.

I went to the hospital for a check up, results etc come back ok but my sugar level seems to be very hard to control at the moment. I know normally you start at 10g of carbs = 1UI of insulin. I have one packet of supernoodles and some meatballs for dinner. There is know way I should require 16UI of insulin + for that small meal. Im going on a course soon called styles which will be 6hours a day for 4 days in a row. Anyone know if % of body fat has a impact on the amount of insulin you require?

~Thanks

iHs

Hello Beav

According to the Carbs and Cals book 170grams of cooked egg noodles served on a 26cm dinner plate is 60g of carb. That is quite a large portion.

I wonder if you have got your calculations wrong?

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
nonono bud. What im basically saying is I need a load more insulin than the 10g of carbs for 1UI of insulin, im not just needing a bit more it seems I inject 16UI for such a small meal and it can still be high :(

Cheryl

As I understand it, the 'normal range' for Type 1 diabetics insulin to carb ratio is between 5 & 20 grammes of carb for 1uI. Many people need diffrerent ratios at different tijmes of day too. If I eat a packet of straight to wok noodles (most are around 42-48 grammes of carb per pack) I have 3.5 to 4 units of insulin. My ratio is 1uI/12gr carb.

I also however have a fairly poor absorption rate, even using Humalog which supposedly acts very quicly, I need to inject at least 30 minutes prior to eating if I'm to avoid a big high after my meal. When the DSNs advised me to increase my insulin to carb ratio, I was hypo all the time. Some people, such as me, can't avoid those highs after a meal (always double figures, often over 14), but my ratios are correct as I am usually back where I started 5 hours after injecting, then remain steady until the next meal.

The fat content of the meal can have an effect as fat slows down the absoprtion of the food into your blood stream, usually resulting in a lower reading 2 hours after a meal, but then rising thereafter as the insulin that you injected stops working, but the food is still being absorbed.

Have you checked the meatball carb content? I'm often amazed now much sugar many prepared foods include, some chinese sauces are up to 50% sugar!!!

I can't answer your original question about the %age body fat I'm afraid, but I hope that some of this helps.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Ok, thank you for the reply. I just can't see why its I need so much insuin. For a 50g carb meal I find myself injectiong 16-18UI and its still not between 4-8 then. One problem I do have is im a weight trainer/bodybuilder so I eat every 3 hours