Almond porrige

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone made this before?

Tried it today and it basically looks like scrambled egg with ground almonds in?!?! Is this right?

Tasted alright though, might add cinnamon next time.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WhitbyJet

3 tbsp ground almond
1 tbsp each of ground flaxseed, coconut flour, oatbran and any seeds, eg sesame, sunflower or nuts

heat up cream or lactose free milk, stir into porridge, sprinkle with sweetener and cinnamon or add berries

Try it, its delicious and far more interesting and nutritious than ordinary porridge and less carby too

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, sounds good! I've asked this before, but can't remember or find the answer, but are there any supermarkets or other shops that sell coconut flour?

Finzi

I don't think it's the same as coconut flour when it comes to baking, but can't see any reason that you couldn't use it in porridge

You can buy coconut flour online, and I think also some Asian supermarkets sell it. Like a lot of online purchases, the P&P can really be a big part of the cost.

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Both recipients are different to what I had yesterday which was

1/4 cup double cream
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ground almonds
2 eggs
Sweetner to taste

Heat the cream, water and almonds till boiling. In a separate bowl beat the eggs then pour on the almond mixture. Return to the heat till it reaches the preferred consistency. Add sweetener to taste.

Think I might try the other recipes though that don't contain eggs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
The coconut flour in H&B is usually Tiana with a rather high carb content, the best and with lowest carb content to found is from AmanPrana, almost impossible to find in UK. Always check the carb content and also know that the different so called coconut flours behave slightly different when using them. Some nice tips when baking low carb - http://www.mariannslchf.com/