Alpha Lipoic Acid and Flu Jab

Grins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I take Alpha Lipoic Acid for my neuropathy symptoms (600mg /day) and I saw a post by @jack412 that it shouldn't be taken within 3 months of a flu vaccine. Can anyone add more to this please? I am worried as I had the flu jab 2 months ago and have been taking ALA for a month. My feet are bad at the moment so I don't want to stop taking the ALA but at the same time if the flu jab thing is a real risk I should stop. Would I know now if it was an issue for me?

Thank you
Grins

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Check with a pharmacist, not sure of the answer.

Grins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, when I asked a boot pharmacist about ALA she had never heard of it! Diabetes Doc had never heard of it being used for neuropathy and when I was in A&E for an unrelated issue earlier this year the consultant didn't know it either and said to save my money!

So I feel a bit awkward talking to the medical profession about it, feel I will just be told it is a waste of money.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've never used this product so no experience to offer, a quick Google search does say it can help with neuropathy problems, try another pharmacist if still in doubt.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does the ALA helps with your symptoms? I take 300mg/day as a precaution but I don't know if I am any better for it. I had flu jab in October but nothing bad has happened.

Grins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for replies. @robert72 I am not sure as I am taking amitryptiline too, but kind of don't want to come off ALA in case they are helping! I was just going to take them for 3 months as I think I read this somewhere that this was the optimum amount for neuropathy (along with avoiding spikes in blood sugar).

Reactions: 2 people

Grins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry also meant to say there must be a lot of diabetics taking ALA and having the flu jab and the fact that there aren't many obvious results being brought up for this suggests it is not a common problem (in doing both).

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for replies. @robert72 I am not sure as I am taking amitryptiline too, but kind of don't want to come off ALA in case they are helping! I was just going to take them for 3 months as I think I read this somewhere that this was the optimum amount for neuropathy (along with avoiding spikes in blood sugar).
Yep - understand not wanting to stop in case they are working. Do you still have the link from jack's post?