'Alternate day fasting'. Advice please...

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I have just been on the phone to the lady I bought my Parrot Archie from a fortnight ago and she rings me every night to see how he is getting on.

Anyway,we started talking about our weight and she said she does the 'Alternate day fasting' diet which I have never heard of .

She said she lost 32lbs on it and has put on 2 lbs in a month after stopping it and if I check first whether it's good for diabetics she will support me by phone and resume it again herself . Suits me as I don't do diet meetings. And as we are phone mates it appeals to me.
She explained that it entails eating nothing for one day (But drinking lots of water which I do anyway... 2 litres a day usually.) I used to drink 8 cups of tea but seem to have lost the habit so 2 litres is nothing really. And I have noticed it dulls the appetite.
One day you eat normally then the next you can eat 500 calories ( Which she uses up drinking coffee)

Does anyone here know anything about this 'diet'...??

I have Googled it and there is a lot to read. Just thought I would ask before I commit myself.Is it ok with Type 2 ??

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, one version of this is called the Fast Diet (http://thefastdiet.co.uk/) and it's fantastic for Type 2 diabetics!

I'm a Type 1 diabetic and I've done a few 24-hour fasts - very liberating!

If you are on insulin, or get low blood sugars (hypos), then be careful. The liver stores sugar reserves that last for a day or two, but if you go through a couple of hypos (even ones you don't feel) you will deplete these reserves. My advice if you go low is to stop the fast and try again another day.

Otherwise, go right ahead!

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You don't actually eat nothing, women can eat 500 cals a day, men 600. You can split it between 2 meals. Michael Mosley has a website with a lot of info on it.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes