1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Alternative to Gliclazide

Discussion in 'Sulphonylureas & Prandial Glucose Regulators' started by Neo88, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Neo88

Neo88 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice, if possible :)

Has anyone had a situation where their GP practice has stopped prescribing your usual medication? I have been on Gliclazide since the rigmarole of my diagnosis was sorted out. I have to admit once my HBA1C dropped down I started taking it as and when needed, as I had been advised by my consultant but recently I have been very lax about it + recently bereaved, lost my job and the whole Covid situ which I know everyone has found hard. I had been doing so well that I dropped out the system.. so to speak.

I had my review in Jan this year which flagged the increase in HBA1C but they have now said they no longer prescribe Gliclazide ( I have enough to last until May!). I do have kidney function issues (change of GP practices, not able to read my notes on their system and refused to read the letters I had taken with me).

I said I was reluctant to change meds until I was able to do some reading about medication, but the nurse didn't seem to think the kidney issue was important and I was being "difficult"!.

So far, I haven't seen a suitable alternative which doesn't have some impact on kidney function. I may be being a bit pedantic but through fear and knowing the sheer frustration of having to constantly provide samples to check it really isn't a road I want to go down again.

All thoughts / suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Neo88

2. Rusty Walsh

Rusty Walsh Type 2 · Newbie

Hi Neo88
    Just wondering if you got any responses to your post in Jan as I can't see a thread here.I now find myself in same position Nurse Practitioner & GP now refusing to prescribe Gliclazide 40 mgs "because of risk of hypos in over 60s' I'm 65 yrs old. Been on it for a few years, took myself off voluntarily 2 about 2 yrs ago as BS' were much better then. Never been near a hypo in 9 years. No kidney probs etc. Other people I know are still on 160mg a day, Dr wants me to have Ozempric. Nurse got very irritated with me when I questioned why I couldnt have Glic which works well for me. I don't understand it and that makes me very unsettled. I hope you're doing ok . Thanks Rusty

3. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook