ALTERNATIVES TO LANTUS & LEVEMIR

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi everyone,
I've noticed that the majority of Type-1s on this forum are on either Lantus or Levemir, and I'm interested to know why that is.
I have a copy of Diabetes UK's Balance Guide to Treatments for Diabetes 2007. In addition to long-acting analogues, the medium-long acting insulins listed are as follows;
Insulatard
Humulin I
Hypurin Bovine Lente
Hypurin Bovine PZ1
Hypurin Porcine isophane
Insuman Basal

Prior to 2007 there were other medium-long acting insulins available, it was the same for short acting, these days one would think that only Humalog, Novorapid or Apidra existed!
Just wondered if anyone else is concerned about the lack of choice of medication being offered to Type-1s.
Jus

Aoife

Some of those insulins you mention seem to originate from animals? I think nowadays medical teams prefer synthetic insulin?

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on Humalin when I was first diagnosed. Then in around 2004 probably my diabetic nurse suggested i tried levemir. Was on it til I got my pump. Levemir was much better and more predictable i found than the humalin.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi,
Yes, some of the insulins I quoted are animal insulin-natural not synthetic and not genetically modified. Thought GM was a dirty word these days, so why would GM insulin be preferable to REAL insulin?
People got on well for years on animal insulins, which have been around since the 20s-tried tested and safe. The long-term effects of the new insulins are unknown.
Many patients were forced on to synthetic 'human' insulins when they were introduced in the 80s, and more recently(as I was) on to the newer analogue insulins. There is no scientific evidence that any of these insulins are superior in any way to animal insulins. In fact,many people lose there hypo-awareness on synthetic insulins, suffer side-effects and have poor BS control.
My point is that patients with diabetes should have choice, and that seems to be diminishing. I find it very worrying.
Jus

Jay3109

I am certainly no expert but my understanding is that Levemir in particular (I have no experience of Lantus) gives a more level control spectrum and generally less weight gain than animal insulins. I have never had any problem with losing hypo awareness, but then never having used animal insulins, perhaps my sensitivity was always geared to the synthetic form.

Personally I am extremely happy with levemir and if my DN or other medical professional suggested I go to animal insulin I would probably refuse without good scientific evidence that it would be in my interest to do so.