Alternatives

Traceylh

I have always been told to give my daughter digestive biscuits after treating her hypos, lately she is saying she hates them and it is a battle to get her to eat them, is there anything else I can try with her that works just as well?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basically anything with 10~15 carbs in, lower gi the better, just something to last before next meal. A digestive is approx 10 carbs, other plain biscuits would do but check carbs on them (may need 2). Even a snack size choc bar would be ok as an extra treat, as the fat in it slows down the absorption of sugar. Plain choc better than caramel filed ones lol. one of the plain belvita milk cereal bars has 8.5 carbs each, these are handy follow on hypo snacks. If the hypo is due to activity a larger snack portion may be required as the extra exercise may continue to drop levels. Would add if the next meal is 30~40 mins way the lucozade should be sufficient without the follow on snack.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Remember you can find out the carb content of supermarket foods by looking at the nutritional panel! (Just make sure you work out the portion size you will be giving her.) Fruit bars, cereal bars, biscuits, even a slice of bread or toast. Most fruit is good too but you need to work out the right portion size.

mdaddison

Agree with the above. I have spent 21yrs solving hypos with jelly babies and hob nob biscuits or a banana. The fibre in the oat biscuit or fruit work well.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
With a child, I'd make some wholesome flapjacks, with oats,perhaps a little honey and dried fruits [ chose the lowest GI ones]. Then cut and weigh the flapjacks to give her enough glucose to last to the next meal. In addition, you can control the ingredients to her needs and she can help make them. Dieticians seem fixated on digestive biscuits. I bet many other kinds of biscuits are very similar.
Hana

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Flapjacks are a fab idea as a post hypo treat, with the added benefit of sustaining you.

I use Jaffa cakes, 9g carb each!