Always tired and nauseas in the mornings!!

the_colon

Hello everyone,

i am hoping you can offer some help or advice. I was diagnosed this time last year and have been trying my best to bring my sugars down, which for the most part i have, but for some reason my sugars pretty much always seem to be above 12 when i wake up in them morning and i feel exceptionally tired and sick. This even happens when i have a carb free dinner the night before and regardless of my sugars being around six before bed. I am taking 12 units of levemir at night, have tried splitting it to see if that helps but it didn't.

I have spoken to the diabetic nurse at my gp a few times about this but she tells me not to worry and that it will be explained when i go on DAFNE (whenever that might be). For the most part i think i have come to terms with my diabetes but the one thing that i cannot handle is feeling like this everytime i wake up in the morning. I start the day feeling sick and depressed and it spirals from there!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

Colin

jopar

Sounds vey much as though you are sleeping through a night-time hypo!

The only way to find out is to test durning the night, you can either keep testing every hour over-ne night or several nights so that you cab build a picture what is going on with your levels..

Between 2am-3am is around the point that your body is at it's lowest ebb for hormone production and is also the lowest point you bg should fall over night, as the hormones production increase after this point, this stablelises or slightly increase your blood sugars...

There could be several reasons for these hypo's, one being that your background insulin isn't correct, so you have too much insulin over-night.. But I did notice that you mention a low carb tea, I wonder if you are using too much quick acting insulin here..

A good book to get hold of, that goes through carb counting, insulin adjustments also providing information of how to test your background/basal insulin is correct, is Think like a pancreas or Using insulin..

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Colin, If I were you I'd set my alarm to wake up at intervals during the night to test to see what's happening with your blood sugars. With a higher reading in the morning, and feeling ill, one possibility is that you could be going hypo without realising during the night and having a liver dump to bring your blood sugars back up. Some people report feeling terrible the next day when this happens and having a higher blood sugar reading than when they went to bed. Or another possibility is that you're not having enough Levemir at night to keep your readings stable and you're slowly creeping into higher figures by the morning. The only way to find out is to do some testing through the night to see what's happening.