Am i being daft?

purple moon

Hi

First i want to say thank you to you guys that have answered my previous questions :D

I have been reading on some sites that you should not smoke during the fasting glucose test, do any of you know if there is a reason for this. As i am a smoker. As i am a smoker is there any reason why i cant have sugar free gum or mints during the long two hour wait. What impact would sugar free mints have on the result?

Sorry if it sounds daft but i a new to all this!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi PM,

Because they are "sugar-free" that doesn't mean they are carbohydrate free. It is carbs that create blood sugar - sugar itself is just one form of carb. Anything you have during the 2 hours wait except water could affect the results. Surely you must be able to go 2 hours without a smoke? What do you do on a plane trip - pop out for a walk on the wings?

RebeccaSmith

2 hours isn't long. Go to the cinema or something. If you were going shopping you would probably go for a couple of hours and do without food or drink.
It would be a lot better to starve for two hours and discover if you do or do not have diabetes as if you do and you are not promptly diagnosed, long term effects could result.
Starve for two hours or be blind?...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The blood sugar peaks and troughs are started by sweet or refined white carbs such as white bread, pasta and rice and also by stimulants such as nicotine in cigarettes, caffeine and stress hormones. Stimulants take glucose out of body stores and send a rush of this sugar into the blood which, if not burned off, may then be stored as fat.

So the stress combined with the cigarettes would put up your BG levels .

purple moon

sugarless sue said:
The blood sugar peaks and troughs are started by sweet or refined white carbs such as white bread, pasta and rice and also by stimulants such as nicotine in cigarettes, caffeine and stress hormones. Stimulants take glucose out of body stores and send a rush of this sugar into the blood which, if not burned off, may then be stored as fat.

So the stress combined with the cigarettes would put up your BG levels .

Thanks for that i kinda understand now. :)

Trinkwasser

purple moon said:
Does anyone know how smoking would effect the result?

You'd get thrown out of the hospital. Here you can't even smoke in the grounds or the car park, or even inside your car.