Am I diabetic or just worrying over nothing

spyrogirl

hey
im 22 and i think i might have diabetes but am scared to go get it checked out cause i dont want to waste my doctors time. over the past couple of months ive been having the following symtoms:-
[*] Loss of appertiate
[*] Thursty all the time
[*] Dry Mouth
[*] Always wanting to go toilet
[*] Always tired
[*] Some times blurred vision
[*] Headaches

i also have to have a sugary drink when i get up or i feel **** for the rest of the day. My mum just thinks im paranoid and im so scared that its something more. Im on strong painkillers for my leg but i stopped taking then for 2 weeks to see if it was just them but the syptoms just stayed the same.
PLEASE HELP
worried 22 year old

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Spyrogirl
I'm no expert but I'm sure one will answer post soon, you wont be wasting your docs time thats what he's there for, make an appointment to see him.

Keep your chin up Graham

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi spyrogirl,

Firstly, the symptoms you mentioned are all fairly typical of highly elevated blood sugar levels. I think you should get yourself along to your GP as soon as you can. You won't be wasting their time, I promise. You need to have your symptoms checked out without delay. None of us can diagnose diabetes online, so go and have it properly investigated as soon as you can. Please!
Secondly, if your GP diagnoses diabetes, come back and talk to us again. You'll find lots of help and support here.
Now, go and make that call!

All the best,

fergus

greenmonkey

Hello there,

As everyone has mentioned, it is worth going and getting your symptoms checked out. You won't be wasting your doctor's time.

You say you've been having these symptoms over the past 'couple of months'....It took me two weeks to get myself along to the doctor's - where I was diagnosed with T1 - after the onset of typical symptoms....which came on out of nowhere....

....One night I must have got up to go to the loo every half an hour...and each time I could have filled a bucket! From that day on, all I could think about was drinking water, peeing and eating. I also had pins and needles in my fingers and toes and, on occassion, threw up sometimes during the night. I kind of suspected something was wrong (!), but knew nothing about diabetes. I was exercising a lot at the time which, on reflection, probably saved me from collapsing. So too that I don't drink anything but water. If I'd have left it any longer, I expect I'd have ended up in hospital.

That you need to drink a sugary drink each morning, doesn't quite fit with my experience. If I'd have done that in the week before diagnosis, I would have been too ill to get through the day and would have had to re-direct myself to bed by mid-morning. Having said that, the symptoms you describe are typical of diabetes. That doesn't mean you have it mind!

However, if you're peeing literally five or six times a night (its usually the night that is the worst), if you're consistently drinking, and if you've dropped weight, you definitely need to see your GP. You need to go anyway, it might be something, it might be nothing....

DiabeticGeek

As others have said, get yourself to a doctor quickly. If it is nothing, then this will put your mind at rest. However, these symptoms are being caused by something (which may or may not be diabetes) - whatever it is you are better off knowing.

I wouldn't compare your symptoms too much with other people's. There are a number of types of diabetes (more than the usual two that people think of), and they can vary wildly in the symptoms that they produce. Sometimes the onset is very rapid and the symptoms are severe, but at others it can take months or even years to develop, and the symptoms can be mild or even non-existent. Anything between these extremes is possible. All that anyone here can say is that what you have described could be diabetes, but then again it could be many other things. Your doctor will be able to tell with a simple test. If it is diabetes, then don't panic - it isn't a disaster, but you will need advice and support. This forum is a good place to get both.

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
Ok I'm not an expert, but i noticed those symptoms in myself and went to the chemist and got checked, they refferred me to my doc.
Maybe a quick check with a Lloyds chemist to see whats going on.
worked for me!