Am I diabetic?

Flying change

I am a 49 year old active woman, not overweight but have other pre-existing conditions such as spinal cord compression, old disc injuries to cervical spine, a tarlov cyst at S2, 4cm fibroid in uterus and degenerative disc disease of the lumbar spine which has been put down to age.

I started my symptoms four months ago firstly be finding blood in my urine which despite three positive tests carried out by dip sticks at my surgery were dismissed at lab by hospital as they considered them contaminated. No follow up took place.

I have been suffering from pins and needles in the hands for years and urinating as if I had two bladders for years and just put it down to drinking copious amounts of tea and coffee as I was always thirsty.

I have now developed pins and needles In the legs and a warm buzzing sensation which comes and goes. My gp ran bloods and it was flagged with raised blood sugars, ferritin of 5 and low folic serum. I take no medication other than 900mg of Gabaoentin daily. The gp requested a fasting Igt test but due to being anaemic and blood loss ongoing said that it would be dangerous to do a fasting test. On the recommendation of a diabetic type 1 I bought a testing machine and a count if 18.8 reading was taken before food. I ate a sensible dinner at took the reading again - 4.1. Today it has been gradually creeping up, if I eat regularly, say every two hours it stays below 9 but I am still confused that a long gap in between food can give me such a high reading. Any advice would be welcome and whether or not I should go back to my gp

Tracey69

Hi
I have read your story, Personally i would return to your Gp as soon as possible, as there could be something else not quite right.
Yes the thirst and peeing a lot are signs of diabetes, but not all symptoms are the same as each person/
Take care
Tracey