1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Am i diabetic??

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by rufusfox, Jan 20, 2009.

1. rufusfox

rufusfox · Newbie

Hi

I am hoping you can help, or at least perhaps clarify if my symptoms are conducive to diabetes.

It is well known amongst friends and family that if i get very irritable or complete zone out (people say i get glazed eyes and appear not there) that i needto eat.

The irritability is quite scarey because i cannot control it and dont feel the effects untill its too late.
    If its combined with alcohol it canget quite out of hand, not violent or anything but shouting definitely. If i am getting spaced out, i can sometimes recognise i am spaced out but have great difficulty making any decisions or being coherant.

Now i do generally eat pretty well and only occasionally skip meals, after as little as 2 hrs now after eating i can get this way and it is really frustrating as it appears tobe getting worse.

I went to the doctor about this 8 yrs ago and had a fasting test and was told i was fine.
    I seem to have periods where i have to go to the toilet alot all through the day and night also..

does thissound like diabetes??its driving me mad!

any advice is more than welcome

thank you :)

2. tubolard

tubolard · Well-Known Member

Hiya Rufus,

I'm afraid we can't diagnose from here, the only way you will know for certain is by going to see your GP.

To satisfy yourself that your blood glucose (BG) levels are in non-diabetic territory you can get yourself a BG meter and test your own fasting and post-prandial levels.

Regards, Tubs.

3. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

i also suggest going to see your gp, but anybody can feel rough with low blood sugar if theyve missed meals etc that by itself doesnt prove diabetes, also undiagnosed diabetes is high blood sugars, get a meter and test letting us know the measurements and/or make an appointment to see your gp :)

4. Trinkwasser

Trinkwasser · Well-Known Member

That's far and away the best move. You may be able to get a test in your pharmacy - try eating a load of carbs maybe an hour beforehand.

Blood sugars can change rapidly, and in many forms of Type 2 the fastings (which the doctor tests) are the last to head south. Sometimes (like me) you can get fooled by relatively normal numbers at two hours after a meal, which miss the spike at one hour and the subsequent drop into hypo or near-hypo numbers at three or four hours after eating.

Most of the people I know with this "reactive hypoglycemia" and a small but significant proportion of Type 2s can recall symptoms going back years or to childhood. Unfortunately for people like us the standard diagnostic tests and standard diagnostic numbers don't detect the disease until it has become well advanced, whereas the earlier you know what's occurring the sooner you can start to gain control.

Doing some more comprehensive tests like this might throw up a problem and the results may be of use to your doctor. Alternatively if they suggest there *isn't* a problem you'll at least know to look elsewhere.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook