Am i doing enough just walking??

Lel

Hi,

I just wanted to know whether just brisk walking for an hour + at a time, 3-4 times a week is enough exercise??
it's a lot more than i used to do and i am walking fast enough to get my heart rate up and so im a little breathless.
im asking because someone commented to me that running would be a lot better as it would do more for me.

thanks for any advise you guys can give me.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The best exercise is the one that you will do on a regular basis.

Walking is considered one of the best choices because it's easy, safe and inexpensive.
Brisk walking can burn as many calories as running, but is less likely than running or jogging to cause injuries.
Walking also doesn't require any training or special equipment, except for good shoes.

Walking is an aerobic and weight-bearing exercise, so it is good for your heart and helps prevent osteoporosis.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Do you walk alone or in company ?and do you live near me and need a dog to help you along? :lol: My lot would like more walks. I find walking in company and near the limit of my ability is good for me and the others "pull" me along. I do water exercises and go to the gym too. I find going to classes helps keep me going.

Lel

Hi Hanadr,

I live in Aberdeen, is it anywhere near you?? probably not lol

i have started making a point of twice a week going with my friend craig, he is also trying to get fit so we are setting goals etc which is really helping me a lot.
i also go walking with my mum and her dogs there is always someone to go with, but i do enjoy plugging in the Ipod and going myself as then i can really test myself.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do both and find that walking on the flat lowers blood sugars just as effectively as running but I have to take longer/go further to do it.
Running seems (for me) to have an effect on insulin sensitivity over a longer period. I normally reduce my insulin dosage with the meal after a run but only after a walk of more than 10 or 12km.
Hill walking has a similar effect to running, my blood sugar often falls very quickly on steep terrain.
My conclusion is similar to Trinkwassers, walking is good but try to include some sections where you have to raise your heartrate a bit more. (but take it gradually at first :!: )

Trinkwasser

Find a suitable tree to do some pull-ups, or do a few Tabata Sprints, or maybe some Slow Burn lifts, it appears that short repeated bursts of high intensity do more than long bursts of the same.

Vikingepigen

I do the "Walking" thing - but I do walk at a pace, about 3.5m in an hour on flats, slightly less when in the woods.

I do one 2 mile walk every other day and a 4 mile walk the other days. I do a 3/4m "stroll" after my evening meal and around 11pm I do my "floor exercises" of leg lifts and sit ups (10 of each, twice) and on some days when I do the 2 mile walks I do another mile walk, but it depends on when I get out of the house.

This seems to work for me and the carb intake I have but I have also found that doing 4 miles, 2 miles, 3/4 miles and the floor exercise on the same carbs causes me problems (hypos I think it is called).

I tried to jog a little the other day on my 4 mile walk, but my knees were so painful for two days afterwards I had to take painkillers!! I do have "dodgy" knees and have had keyhole surgery to one, so I suppose they were just telling me it was not a good idea! lol

It is definately worth trying out some of the suggestions, you will soon enough know if it right for you or not.

Best
Alice