Am I taking the right approach?

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Right got diagnosed early December and slowly I am adapting to having type 1 diabetes.

The way I am starting to view it is life live normally, and beat the diabetes, I mean by beating it as in looking after it and keeping it under control, the more i stress about the long term complications etc the more likely chance the stress etc will cause damage and depress me.

I am going to take good control of it, attend my regular check up's etc, take the advice of the people who know about diabetes such as the nurses, gp's and dieticians etc and keep fit and active. (I go to the gym and play football and work etc).

The long term complications etc should have a less chance of happening and ill be able to live happily and enjoy my life. I hope to live until I am really old. :)

Frankie W

Dislikes
Being out of work.
:)
Hi Matthew 1990
Having read your comments, I would totally agree with you. The best outlook is to control your diabetes not to let it control you. Totally the right approach.
I would suggest that if you have questions post them here and make a note also to ask your Healtchare Team for future reference just as a back up.
If you have any worries meanwhile that you are not sure aboput, you can always make an appointment with your G.P.
Best of look for the furture.
Frankie W
:)

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Frankie, I see you have had type 1 diabetes for over 50 years, thats incredible, I also take humalog and lanthus. How are you? How do you feel? How old were you when you were diagnosed? Any complications?

Thanks for the advice Matt x

sugar2

Matthew,

I think that is a great attitude to take. Think a little bt about your diabetes every day..ie, control it then forget it...rather than ignoring it for years, then having to think about it all the time!

Frankie W

Dislikes
Being out of work.
Hi Matthew
Thanks for responding it is nice to have contact with other diabetics. I have only recently come across this site and am enjoying visiting it very much.
When I was first diagnosed I was 3 1/2 and obviously a little young to understand the impact it would have on my life. My mum was a teacher who had dietetics training and she approached diabetes with - my daughter is 3 1/2 and you cannot possibly tell a 3 1/2 year old she cannot have sweets, so this was built in to my original regime.
I have suffered from diabetic retinopathy and was registered partially sighted in 2004. I still try to be as independent as possible but if I was to offer any tips it would be to join Diabetes UK, and make sure you read the Balance magazine that is sent every 2-3 months as it is a great source of information and also if at at all possible ask your Healthcarte team about getting on to a D.A.F.N.E. course as I feel that this has made life so much simpler since I went on it.
Best of Luck.
Frankie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Matthew with that positive attitude you should go on to lead a full and happy life! :D

Nigel

RobertB28

Hi everyone ,
I am not sure if this is the best place to write this but I'm not really sure where is it :? Some of you might know this nick from few months ago when I was asking about how to take care of someone from EU with diabetic and I can say your replays where really helpfull! My another question is about retinopathy is there anything new about that ,I mean something about surgery I could skip? The money maybe an issue but I can spend whatever if I only can help my girlfriend ! She is still in a 'good condition'' but I know that retinopathy will get worse as for now there is no cure for this condition , is the only way to keep the retinopathy to stay away to get a victrectomy surgery?I had a good look in an internet and i couldn't find best sollution.

By the way if someone is from outside of UK you can apply for NIM and then register in NHS, go to GP to get a right care with this illness.I am not looking for free health care for her just for some help . I know some people might think that we should look for help in our countries but for me that is no matter of where we are as long I can find a better care for her.

kind regards

Robert