Amaryl/Glimepiride

rainey2910

Dislikes
Work!
Hello everyone, it's been quite a whilst since I last posted. hope everyone is happy and healthy!!

A lot has changed with me since then...I've been under the diabetes unit at my local hospital now for 12 months as my control went out of the window following a severe chest infection :thumbdown: The consultant started me on Byetta 10mcg injections twice per day, which I have had no problems with. I've lost 6 stone in weight during the 12 months I've been on it :thumbup: , but my sugar levels are still too high. At my appointment with the DSN this week, she has taken me off Gliclizide and put me on Glimepiride (Amaryl) 4mg x 1 per day. Has anyone else had experience of this medication? If so, how did you find it?

I'm off on holiday next week 8) on an all-inclusive basis (which I've never done before) and am a little worried about the choices I will have for meals.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi and welcome back.

When I first started on Byetta in 2007 I was put on 4mg Amaryl until the combined effect of the two brought my blood sugars down, then the Amaryl was dropped to 2mg, then 1mg, then half a 1mg tablet if it started to creep up again. It took about 18months to get off the Amaryl completely and I haven't needed a sulphonylurea (e.g. Amaryl, gliclazide) since then. My consultant had recommended Amaryl because it is less likely to produce hypos than other sulphonylureas and has a milder action so is easier on the pancreas.

Dennis