American Holiday

AnneBoyce

Hi there! I'm flying off to America on 11 March, and I've got a couple of queries regarding the flight. Under the new (well fairly new) security arrangements, how do I go about carrying m insulin with me on the flight? Do I have to pack it in the suitcase to go in the hold, or can I take it with me? If I do take it with me, do I have to ask the flight attendants to put it in the fridge for me? I've got enough to last me through the holiday, so that's not a problem. I'm just a bit worried about having my insulin confiscated in case I need it on the flight.
Does anyone have any experience of this?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Keep your insulin with you in your hand luggage, you could ask the cabin crew to store your unopened insulin in a fridge, but security won't confiscate your insulin, just be sure to get a Dr's letter to say you have diabetes and need to carry insulin and related supplies.

Here's some advice on travelling form the DCUK website:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/travel.html

Enjoy your holiday.

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Hi there! I'm flying off to America on 11 March, and I've got a couple of queries regarding the flight. Under the new (well fairly new) security arrangements, how do I go about carrying m insulin with me on the flight? Do I have to pack it in the suitcase to go in the hold, or can I take it with me? If I do take it with me, do I have to ask the flight attendants to put it in the fridge for me? I've got enough to last me through the holiday, so that's not a problem. I'm just a bit worried about having my insulin confiscated in case I need it on the flight.
Does anyone have any experience of this?
I travel regularly with work several flights per month.

I carry all my medication in hand luggage needles insulin oral meds.

Get your hands on a customs/doctors letter from your surgery this is a must as some airport security staff will want this.

I have a frio wallet to keep my insulin cool. I've not had to put it in a fridge but if you ask They may do this I have heard that some airlines may refuse this due to health and safety rubbish to do with food hygiene reasons... Maybe worth the wallet... I use it in Saudi at the minute and temps can reach 50 in the summer. And will keep cool upto 48 hours although I've felt it a week later and it's still cool.

In general most airline staff are really good I use the galley to administer insulin as who wants to hide in the toilet!!! I don't hide it I would do it in my seat if they refused but I have never been refused access for this... I don't believe in hiding away but I just think it's good practice especially in such confined space.

In summary carry all your meds in your hand luggage...

1 you won't lose it!
2 hold luggage can reach outside temperatures of -56 at altitude (trust me I'm an aircraft engineer by trade!!!)

Don't worry and have a great holiday!

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Do not under any circumstances put your diabetic supplies in the hold as it will freeze, therefore your insulin will go off. I've travelled quite a bit and you do need a doctors letter to say your diabetic and make sure you keep your prescription labels on your insulin so you can prove its been prescribed for you :) have fun and hope that helps

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely get a letter from your doctor. A little tip I was given was to put spare testing kit and a some spare insulin in another persons bag that u are traveling with. We have been to America with the in laws 3 times and each time I asked her to carry spares for me. Just in case your bag gets stolen etc? I have actually had my bag stolen on a night out while u was in a different city before (it was literally 1m away from me and had put it down to put my coat on, I had put it under a friends leather jacket as I didn't want it on display but they nabbed the lot, jacket and all! I got back a few weeks later, but that's another story!)
thankfully I had spare kit in my hotel room. It really brought it home how easily it could happen at airports etc or for someone to pick it uk by mistake. For u have a pump, some companies give u a spare one to take a away with you X X

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've just come back from the USA. As others have said, have GP letter and any prescription meds including insulin have the packaging and/or prescription. I've travelled a lot and never been asked about the insulin etc in my hand luggage. I don't tend to keep it cool in flight as it lasts 4 weeks at room temp and for a short holiday you can get away with it. I may put unused insulin in the hotel fridge but don't forget it!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep your insulin with you. I live in the US and travel fairly often. Never had a single issue with someone even questioning what my supplies was for. They're trained to spot medical equipment.

Probably a good idea to have some sort of a doctor's letter, but I highly doubt you'd ever need to show it to anyone.

AnneBoyce

Thanks for all the advice, it's been really helpful! I'm seeing the Diabetic Nurse next week so I'll ask about getting a letter regarding the insulin and other meds. Fortunately my hostess for the visit is also diabetic, so she will be able to look after me when I get there!

Reactions: 2 people