Amias (Candesartan)

Sula

I am a type 2 with no family history of diabetes which I find very strange. At my diabetic clinic the nurse said there had been a huge surge in diabetes in my area (south of Lincoln) with over 600 diagnosed, I was flabbergasted and the doctor has now cancelled the clinics and made the checks open access as there are too many diabetics to run clinics. I have recently stopped taking candersartan for high blood pressure ( I have been on it a great number of years) as it has been linked with cancer, I bought a RESPIRATE machine which I found useful in slowing down my breathing,occasionally take an ayurvedic remedy and I feel better and my blood pressure has improved. I just wonder if Amias has been resposible for causing the diabetes is there anyone on here who has been on Amias (Candesartan) for a long time. An American Pharmacist who is also a devotee of alternative medicine and recommended by Dr Mercola has stated that Candersartan can cause diabetes.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Sula and welcome to the forum, I just searched Google for Candesartan and diabetes and got about 500,000 hits saying that Candesartan can help to protect against diabetes.

I take an ace inhibitor called Ramipril which has been proven to help protect the kidneys against the effects of diabetes as well as helping to lower my blood pressure.

It is quite normal to look for something to blame for ones condition but there is no peace to be found in looking for someone or something to blame, better to accept that you are now diabetic and get on with the job of controlling it which in turn will help to stave off diabetic complications which we all want to avoid.

Click the underscored link to read our monitors Information For The Newly Diagnosed it holds the key to good diabetic control. :D

Sula

Hi Sid

I too have read in a national newspaper about the wonders of Candersartan being a protect all for every organ in the body including the kidneys, from the ravages of diabetes and also to prevent diabetes in the first place. But this does rather conflict with their own literature inside the box of tablets which does state that the drug can adverseley affect kidneys and that if you take Amias you should have regular kidney function tests which, incidentally, I was not offered. The other warning is about the drug interfering with the white blood cell count which is the immune system hence its connection with cancer, you have a 25% increased risk of contracting lung cancer. As diabetics have an increased risk of cancer anyway I think candesartan is something to stay well away from. I too have taken ACE inhibitors and the constant cough nearly drove me mad. Since ditching the BP drugs after 30 years, I sleep better, I feel better, my palpitations have gone and I no longer have constant niggling infections

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Amias is something that I was on for a long while, but now on other BP Meds. I had no side effects on Amias but changed after Surgery and now my BP is still well controlled. Average 110/70 most days.

Since you ditched the BP Meds what is your BP like now ?

As for side effects, virtually every drug going has some side effects listed, doesn't mean to say you WILL get them, just to be aware of them. I prefer not to believe outright the 'scare stories' bandied around the Net, most are usually not backed up with solid evidence just anecdotal stuff from those who unfortunately have had a problem with a drug. For every person who has a problem there are many more who don't. I take note of the 'stories' but don't jump to conclusions until I have heard ALL sides........ :|

Known side effects from the BNF 61

Side-effects are usually mild. Symptomatic hypotension including dizziness may occur, particularly in patients with intravascular volume depletion (e.g. those taking high-dose diuretics). Hyperkalaemia occurs occasionally; angioedema has also been reported with some angiotensin-II receptor antagonists.

The warnings/precautions from the PIL (Patient Information Leaflet) are quite specific. It is there to remind anybody using or prescribing the drug when then should be used with care, not saying that you will get all the things listed.......

Take special care with Amias
Before you take, or whilst you are taking Amias, tell your doctor.
• if you have heart, liver or kidney problems, or are on dialysis.
• if you have recently had a kidney transplant.
• if you are vomiting, have recently had severe vomiting, or have diarrhoea.
• if you have a disease of the adrenal gland called Conn’s syndrome (also called primary hyperaldosteronism).
• if you have low blood pressure.
• if you have ever had a stroke.
• you must tell your doctor if you think you are (or might become) pregnant. Amias is not recommended in early pregnancy, and must not be taken if you are more than 3 months pregnant, as it may cause serious harm to your baby if used at that stage (see pregnancy section).

Your doctor may want to see you more often and do some tests if you have any of these conditions.

dib

Sula said:
Hi Sid

I too have read in a national newspaper about the wonders of Candersartan being a protect all for every organ in the body including the kidneys, from the ravages of diabetes and also to prevent diabetes in the first place. But this does rather conflict with their own literature inside the box of tablets which does state that the drug can adverseley affect kidneys and that if you take Amias you should have regular kidney function tests which, incidentally, I was not offered. The other warning is about the drug interfering with the white blood cell count which is the immune system hence its connection with cancer, you have a 25% increased risk of contracting lung cancer. As diabetics have an increased risk of cancer anyway I think candesartan is something to stay well away from. I too have taken ACE inhibitors and the constant cough nearly drove me mad. Since ditching the BP drugs after 30 years, I sleep better, I feel better, my palpitations have gone and I no longer have constant niggling infections

I think you should be aware that to the best of my knowledge Candesartan is NOT an ACE inhibitor, rather it is often prescribed for people who cannot tolerate ACE inhibitors often because of that annoying cough. I think it acts in a similar way but is not the same, I know because I have been on it for the last 4 years with no problems whatsoever after having tried an ACE.
In fact I have been able to cut down from 16mg to 4mg daily with an average BP of 115 / 70 after buying a large Standard Poodle puppy 6 months ago that requires a brisk 1/2 hour walk at least twice a day! :D
You never know I might be off them completely if doggie doesn't get too tired. :D

Sula

I don't think I said that candesartan is an ACE inhibitor ? I said I have also been on ACE inhibitors before I took candesartan but could not tolerate the cough.

My BP varies fro 117/72 to 128/84, to an absolute high caused by white coat syndrome at the diabetic clinic of 149/89

dib

My mistake, just shows I shouldn't be posting on here when supposed to be doing something else :roll: