Anaemia

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, rude people
Has anyone on the LCHF regime had any issues with anaemia, good or bad? I have been following LCHF for a week and a half and I feel puffed a lot of the time. The smallest task, even getting dressed, has this effect. My blood tests always show slightly low iron stores so I thought the extra protein would help.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Jilly
I am currently undergoing investigation re: my anaemia. My LCHF diet is good, my last set of results were terrific. Anaemia can occur in people with diabetes but it's not always down to lack of iron. B12 is a culprit and is Vit D. When I stArted LCHF I had approx 3/4 weeks before I felt OK, it can take a little while to settle down ona new regime. Keep,going though, LCHF is the way I succeeded in reducing my levels.

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Hi jilly , my iron levels go down really quickly with many other problems that come with it ...also b12 gets topped up very quickly as they can drop low quickly...cause not found ...but I do have some heredity problems.... Maybe ? Can't say for sure ...
For me no diet has ever helped .....
I just know I need the help ...

If your focused on diet ...not all vegetables get absorbed like we imagine they do ...that is for some people ...malabsorption problems ....
I can't comment on Lchf
But I do know that a blood test would tell you if you needed help with medication or IV top ups ...or further investigations ...
For example , for me when my iron is low , I can't breath properly ..therefore can hardly walk and sleep all day ....so it gets confusing ....

Worth discussing further with GP maybe ....these deficiencies can be linked to other health issues...
Best wishes ..Kat ...please try not to worry until you know more..

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well so far so good as far as blood sugars and weight loss go. I am still trying to educate myself with what I can or can't eat. I try not to restrict myself but suspect you may be right about not eating enough fats. I definitely feel much colder. I will try increasing the fats in my diet and see what happens

K

Kat100

Jilly
I am currently undergoing investigation re: my anaemia. My LCHF diet is good, my last set of results were terrific. Anaemia can occur in people with diabetes but it's not always down to lack of iron. B12 is a culprit and is Vit D. When I stArted LCHF I had approx 3/4 weeks before I felt OK, it can take a little while to settle down ona new regime. Keep,going though, LCHF is the way I succeeded in reducing my levels.
Hi Alan ..hope anaemia...gets sorted soon ....best wishes ...Kat

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi jilly , my iron levels go down really quickly with many other problems that come with it ...also b12 gets topped up very quickly as they can drop low quickly...cause not found ...but I do have some heredity problems.... Maybe ? Can't say for sure ...
For me no diet has ever helped .....
I just know I need the help ...

If your focused on diet ...not all vegetables get absorbed like we imagine they do ...that is for some people ...malabsorption problems ....
I can't comment on Lchf
But I do know that a blood test would tell you if you needed help with medication or IV top ups ...or further investigations ...
For example , for me when my iron is low , I can't breath properly ..therefore can hardly walk and sleep all day ....so it gets confusing ....

Worth discussing further with GP maybe ....these deficiencies can be linked to other health issues...
Best wishes ..Kat ...please try not to worry until you know more..
Thank you Kat. I have CKD and my renal doctor prescribed iron supplements last year but they gave me an upset stomach and made me feel sick so I stopped taking them. She said on my next appointment (November) she would discuss with me the possibility of iron injections instead. This may be the answer but, as you say, with multiple conditions, it would be best to have more blood tests.

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Thank you Kat. I have CKD and my renal doctor prescribed iron supplements last year but they gave me an upset stomach and made me feel sick so I stopped taking them. She said on my next appointment (November) she would discuss with me the possibility of iron injections instead. This may be the answer but, as you say, with multiple conditions, it would be best to have more blood tests.
Hi jjlly ...good luck with what ever you do , I know they all make you feel unwell ....all that trail and error ....getting the levels right etc etc...
I hate all these blood tests ..don't you ...
My CKD went up and improved with some iron ....and my b12 ...but that was me ...not to say it will remain the same ...

I could write a list about all my ongoing health problems ....Never easy ,we will keep on trying ....Kat x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well so far so good as far as blood sugars and weight loss go. I am still trying to educate myself with what I can or can't eat. I try not to restrict myself but suspect you may be right about not eating enough fats. I definitely feel much colder. I will try increasing the fats in my diet and see what happens

If you are targeting weight loss you need to watch the calories, as some posters find the weight loss can stall if you don't.