And a healthy dose of anxiety

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Over the last few months I have developed severe anxiety because of diabetes. I am fixated upon sickness. If anyone is ill near me I wont go near them. Washing my hands constantly and avoiding social situations in case I become ill and get DKA.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I will be starting CBT counselling next week but i feel like i am losing my mind

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Hi I too have severe anxiety,I have multiple health problems and diabetes came along and just added to them. Like you I have a fear of germs, illness even people I don't know!.....like you have started counselling.....just wanted to wish you all the best......

There is no greater fear than fear itself......

But a determination to beat it is in there......good luck....

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
All the best to you too Axle222!!! Comforting to know I am not on my own. Let me know how you get on xx

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Thank you....

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Dark Horse. Thank you for the reading material! Very useful x

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Im prone to anxiety,had a bad time a few months ago,but feeling better now.
I have no idea if it is due to being diabetic,as my BG levels are fine.
My Dr put me on citralapram 20mg and I have settled down.
All the best its a very hard thing to suffer from.

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I've got non-diabetes related GAD, always have had, but I'm managing a lot better nowadays.
I just wanted to say something, re "losing my mind" - people that are becoming very ill aren't aware of it, the fact that they are so sick. Although it honestly feels like sanity is slipping away, it isn't - that's your anxiety in full flow, and it's a persuasive devil! As long as you recognise it for what it is, you can find ways to deal with, and live with it, without it ruling your life. You're taking steps now, which is great. It'll be ok:)

Reactions: 2 people

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your replies. Not having a great day with it all but your posts are very encouraging x

nij82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I hope the counseling helps.. I have recently been diagnosed with depression and anxiety too..
I have been a diabetic now for roughly 24 years and i have only had 1 major attack but it almost took my life.. Luckily im still here to tell the tale but it has caused alot of illnesses with me and i have been signed off of work for over a year now and i dont think being off work is ever gonna help me in my situations.. I dont know whether im coming or going with my health.. I cant even remember my last good reading on my blood glucose..
Good luck and take care..

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I hope the counseling helps.. I have recently been diagnosed with depression and anxiety too..
I have been a diabetic now for roughly 24 years and i have only had 1 major attack but it almost took my life.. Luckily im still here to tell the tale but it has caused alot of illnesses with me and i have been signed off of work for over a year now and i dont think being off work is ever gonna help me in my situations.. I dont know whether im coming or going with my health.. I cant even remember my last good reading on my blood glucose..
Good luck and take care..
Hi nij82

How are you feeling now about things?