And now my sugar tester is playing up

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
As if things couldn't get harder checking my sugars this holiday, now my sugar tester is playing up. I test and it says my sugars are 15, I test again immediately after and it's 13, then immediately after and it's 11, then immediately after and it's 15. What?!?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Believe it or not it's probably within the minimum accuracy of the meter.
I believe they are expected to be within +/-20% for 95% of readings.
If your true value is 13 then the other two readings are within 16%.

Frustrating isn't it?

I think I read that the standard is to be improved, but still only to +/-15%.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is not unusual to get different results from different blood samples taken close together. The results are still high and need a correction bolus.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a lucky dip on number your manual with the meter may have the percent of the strips eg
50% will be +/-5%
90% will be +/-15%
Wash your hands again and wipe and let air dry properly
I have the accuchek but most seem the same, there will be some odd numbers but I find I can get accuracy of +/- 0.25mm most of the time
I work to eg 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7 etc And round up or down what the meter says to the nearest half
It's best to do a few days and get an average reading to make sense of numbers

Last edited by a moderator:

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mine is the accu check expert and is normally prefect. But the reading before lunch was either 10.2ish or 13.4ish, leaving me in a conundrum. How much insulin to give myself to correct. I know it needs a correction but I correct for one unit per blood sugar level and the reader tells me how much insulin to give, but if the readings are that inaccurate, could the advice from the machine also be? I've been told to avoid hypos at all cost (even if that means giving myself slightly less insulin if I'm unsure of the carbs) because of my many hypos.

Just did a reading now and it came out at 15.2. Though that can't be right so tested again at it's 7.7 (which is exactly what I like to go to bed on).

How here is a question I have. I tend to put my used strips and finger pricked drums in the pocket where I keep my spare finger pricker drums.y old tester had covers on the needles so wasn't a problem. But could they be getting contaminated? My mum asked the question and I have to be honest I didn't even think about it.

I always expect a little bit of a difference, but that seems a lot.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Something is wrong, change battery or ring up and get them to post out a new meter
With clean dry hands you shouldn't get tha amount of shift
You don't use alcohol swabs do you?

Try using the second drop of blood. The first one you put on a tissue like blotting paper and you may need a deeper jab.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just for reference. To clean, I lick my finger and wipe it on my pants and my tests are fine

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks jack. I changed the batteries, gave it a clean, used a new pot of test strips and now it's fine again.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good, so a new battery fixed it. I would ring the manufacturer or your nurse and see if they will give you a spare meter

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes. That would be a good idea. That's so much.