1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Animas Exiting Market By September 2019

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by helensaramay, Sep 10, 2018.

1. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Just ordered some new supplies on the Animas website and saw the banner
    Important Product Information for Customers: Animas no longer selling pumps in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Animas goal is to transition all patients globally to another insulin delivery system and exit the market by September 2019.​
    Most of this is not new. However, this is the first time I have seen a date mentioned ... and the date is before my warranty expires.

I had another reason to call Animas so asked them about this. It was explained that this is their target but they will fulfil all existing warranties.
    They will be transitioning to Medtronic but they have no date for when this will happen but will guarantee all pump supplies and replacement pumps due to failure will continue to be provided.
    However, they are not sure if "extras" such as loaner pumps will continue to be available.

They told me letters will be sent to all Animas Vibe owners before the transition occurs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Does that mean your going to have to change pumps?

3. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If anyone still has an in warranty Animas pump I would really appreciate any Inset II 90s if you can spare a box.

4. _becs

_becs Type 1 · Member

The exit date is also before my Animas Vibe pump warranty expires. However, just been to a routine appointment to see my consultant who said he is trying to change everyone using Animas onto another pump regardless of warranty and has given a few pumps to research.
    Sorry @Engineer88 I use inset II 6mm and haven't transitioned yet x

5. Engineer88

If and when you do, please keep me in mind for any leftovers :D I use a different pump now but do not get on with the infusion sets at all

• Like Like x 1
  6. helensaramay

When the warranty expires, I will not be able to replace like with like.
    However, I expect to keep my Animas until the warranty end date because my local CCG has paid until that date.

Currently, the Medtronic 640G is the pump on offer to new and replacement pumpers.
    I shouldn't predict what it will be in 18 months time ... but I can't see them changing.
    I may try to give them some direction at my next annual appointment (in January).

If I remember (and you are still interested) @Engineer88 I'll be in touch in 18 months.
    But I use Inset 30s ... and probably won't have any left.

7. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In Australia, all Animas users are being approached about transfer to Tandem Slim pumps. My Animas warranty goes through to November next year but I have ben reassured that will not affect me moving to the other pump. I believe some the the needle inserts etc are transferrable between the 2 brands. Tandem pumps can work with Dexcom CGM and updates will be made free for updating to the latest Dexcom as well as later a dose reduction for low CGM BSls program.
    There is also the option of switching to Medtronics or Roche. Apparently Australian Govt has restricted the field generally to three pump companies for which consumables are subsidised through our NDSS (National Diabetes Supply Scheme), with CGM subsidised for up to ?21 year olds.

8. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You maybe inline for the 670G Helen. I have read a lot of good reviews on that pump. Should be in UK/Europe late autumn?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Engineer88

Thanks Helen, I don't get on with those though, too much like an IV insertion

• Like Like x 1
  10. helensaramay

Unfortunately this is even bigger than the 640g which is bigger than the Animas.
    My CCG do not understand the psychological effects of having to have my pump (and my diabetes) on display at all times because I am too small to hide it unless I put it somewhere complete inaccessible in polite company which would result in me not correcting (or not dosing when eating) and, therefore, worse control.
    My preference is a reliable pump with a remote control (e.g. Omnipod). But these are too expensive so not considered.

I am also confident my CCG will not fund the CGM that goes with the 670G which will remove half of the benefit.

(Sorry, you offered positive feedback and I pushed it back due to my frustrations with my local CCG - not good manners!)

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey Helen no worries at all. You know I won't take offence :)
    You have every right to vent your frustrations

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Engineer88

Have you considered the Dana RS? a number of us have pushed our hospitals into supplying them, its small waterproof and lightweight and compatible with android APs as well as having a phone app to control.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. helensaramay

Thanks, I will look into that.
    Interestingly, the Dana RS insulin capacity is more than the Animas (300 compared with 200). I use less than 100 each time I change the set.

Currently, my CCG are very rigid - the option is one pump or no pump.
    The Animas is my first pump and I was not aware of the impact of it when I took it.
    Now I have pumping experience, I would love to make the change when it is due for renewal.

Unlike the perception of many, the tube is not an issue so it does not have to be tubeless - it is about not being on display.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. kitedoc

@helensaramay, I wonder whether the rigidity in attitude of your CCG is about bulk buying of one brand, or that too many might complain that another pump did not have capacity for CGM (other work arounds for CGM not withstanding).
    From what I have read Cellnovo is the smallest pump but with a 150 U capacity and no CGM at this stage.

15. helensaramay

I believe the rigidity of my CCG is about only having to train the diabetes team and patients with one pump.
    This reduces costs and risk of error.
    I can see their point but it feels like playing "safe" music in a restaurant. No one is overly offended but no one would return for the ambience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. kitedoc

Familiar story of staff convenience over patient need. Elevator music for all. I wish you all luck and help in this battle with bureaucracy. ? lobby local member of Parliament, ? newspaper article "Aesthetics of an insulin pump - one size fits all or no size fits all", or "Is that a cigarette pack you are wearing?", ?ask all dsns, doctors and administrators in area to wear something of the pump size and see how they do wearing it., ? survey of forum members re pump size preference.
    Chin up - just like bureaucracy, spaghetti's inflexibility softens with enough heat !!
    (But in Australia when you wish to cook a galah (a raucous type of parrott or a derogatory term for a politician), throw a stone in the water with the galah and boil until the stone is soft).

• Like Like x 2
  17. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Medtronic don't do a waterproof pump so I hope we do get a choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. helensaramay

This entirely depends on the health care team.

However, I am intrigued why your interest in a waterproof pump. I have never taken my Animas into the water; I always remove it before entering the shower/swimming pool/jacuzzi.

19. kitedoc

In Australia, at least, many Aussies indulge in water sports e.g. water skiing, surfing, swimming, kayaking, canoeing, sailing so a waterproof pump is a real bonus for these people. I know one pump user on site writes that he does lots of long distance kayaking.
    I have kayaked with my Animas pump. The length of time is usually for about 2 and one half hours and whilst a bolus of insulin might have bridged that time without the pump on, it is more reassuring to have the pump in case there is an unexpected delay getting back to home.
    When insulin pumps were first available in Australia, a teenage diabetic from a family of keen water-skiers would 'suspend' his pump inside his wet suit and ski away even though the pumps back then were only splash proof.! Not a great example to follow but showing how involvement in sport may cause risks to be taken and bolster demand for waterproof pump development. Developing an insulin pump for, say skin diving, might be a bridge too far though!!!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook