Animas Vibe - pump is not primed

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been getting this several times a day. What is likely to be causing it, and what should I do? Just keep changing the infusion set and insulin reservoir?

And yeah obviously RTFM...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had some vague recollections and did a google.
If you google' animas pump not primed error' you get a lot of results, admittedly most don't seem to recent.
There was in fact a recall back in 2011 though the issue was said to have been resolved.
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/fsn/documents/fieldsafetynotice/con129186.pdf
I think that if I were you, I would contact the company.
It may be something to do with what you do, or the pump; either way they should be able to help

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Phone animas and tell them you have wasted x amount of sets due to this so would they be kind enough to replace them.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re RTFM, I did, the manual is useless on this. "Cause: pump not primed." Really?

And the troubleshooting guide for the pump per se is one page. Doesn't include anything about this Warning.

I will phone tech support. Thanks all.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just in case the pump is actually working, I need to wait 4 hours before I use a pen to correct the BG of 18-24 that I have been trying to correct with the pump for two days. Which is a shame since I feel like passing out.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Spiker dual correct. Assume the pump is giving some and then do smaller correction with pen in addition. 18-24 is far too high

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had an issue with this previously. Turned out to be an issue with the vials

Have you got another batch?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I spoke to Animas Tech Support. This is what they said.

They acknowledged that as this stops insulin delivery it should be classed as Alarm not Warning. Or at least it should be recorded in the pump History (it isn't; Warnings aren't).

It can be caused by a bad cartridge that doesn't move smoothly. (If the pump also asks for a rewind, then it's a power failure of some kind.)

Once a week or less they say is acceptable. Three times a day for the last 2 days (and 2 new cartridges) is not acceptable, they say.

The initial response is to change the insulin reservoir cartridge.

Physically what's happening to the pump? What's it detecting?/It means an internal positioning sensor thinks the cartridge has moved away from contact with the piston rod. Can be a sensor error, bad cartridge, mechanical shock moving the cartridge.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had an issue with this previously. Turned out to be an issue with the vials

Have you got another batch?
Thanks, I have, Eng. Just arrived today. I will switch to those if the one I just replaced also fails.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How's it going, @Spiker ?
I seem to recall you have had problems with highs previous to your recent illness. Was this with the same pump ?

Signy

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How's it going, @Spiker ?
I seem to recall you have had problems with highs previous to your recent illness. Was this with the same pump ?

Signy
Hi Signy :)

Yep same pump. I thought a few weeks ago the clear cause of high BG was infection, but maybe not, or not solely, because high and resistant BG did continue for a considerable time after the medics said the foot wound infection was gone. So much so that the first place I looked when things were awry this week was for some kind of "me malfunction" rather than a pump malfunction.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A new reservoir cartridge got the same error after 2 hrs running time, so they are now advising me to use a cartridge from a different box (as correctly predicted by sundry pumpers here on DCUK). Time to start tracking batch numbers.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Incidentally Spiker what batch numbers are you getting probs with? Others here may be using same batch numbers? And getting odd highs without messages.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Signy :)

Yep same pump. I thought a few weeks ago the clear cause of high BG was infection, but maybe not, or not solely, because high and resistant BG did continue for a considerable time after the medics said the foot wound infection was gone. So much so that the first place I looked when things were awry this week was for some kind of "me malfunction" rather than a pump malfunction.

That's what I thought - there appears to be a pattern of issues with that pump :( Thinking back, have there been problems from the outset ? If so, it's getting beyond acceptable now .

Signy

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
**** *rse Android app lost my post. Written by feckin NUNS!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
**** *rse Android app lost my post. Written by feckin NUNS!
I'd just like to clarify that it is the irritating Android app that was written by NUNS!, not my post. My posts are never written by NUNS!, though on occasion the foam-spattering rage in the posts is inspired by them.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fortunately Animas delivered 3 more boxes of reservoirs yesterday.

Unfortunately, they are all LOT 100-124-11. :-/