Animas Vibe pump

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I have FINALLY decided to go with the Animas Vibe pump. I have had a Dexcom G4 CGM on for the past week and I loved it SO much I don't know how I ever lived without it! :) The fact it is 100% waterproof (and guaranteed as such) also really appeals to me.

I have texted my DSN this morning and am going in for a chat next week. Really looking forward to getting to grips with pumping! :)

Anyone who has this pump, please feel free to give me some hints & tips! I did trial it a few weeks ago with saline solution and got on really well with it.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck with pumping insulin Spicey.............although I'm sure you'll be fine:)

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Thanks Noblehead, I'm not expecting it to be easy but I'm sure I'll get the nack of it! I'm hoping it can help tighten my control significantly in the long run! :)

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you not gutted that you shelled out £££ for the Dexcom receiver and now you won't need it if you are getting the Vibe?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Spicey, please invest in the book pumping insulin. It can be found on amazon. Known as the pumpers Bible and worth it's weight in gold.
Happy pumping :)
@Spiker it's ok Spicey had the dex on loan so didn't fork out all that dosh :)

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

@Spicey245

The Vibe is fairly straightforward to set up. It only has 12 two hourly basal rate time slots so its not too difficult regarding basal rate setting and bg testing. Its downside, is the screen display being LCD and this makes it a bit difficult to see in sunlight so if outside, I need to turn my back to the sun and hold the pump slightly diagonal below the waist to see the writing and numbers ok even with the contrast setting adjusted to high. I also use a long tube to make it easier for me. Indoors, the screen display is fine....no problem. The other thing is the Menu system controlled by lots of button presses and scrolling and unless my Vibe is faulty, if I press one of the buttons too much, I will end up entering too much carb and then have to press another button one click at a time to go back to the correct amount. The letters are not that big so make sure that you can see the screen without too much trouble. Infusion sets are available as the Inset II, Inset 30, Contact D, Comfort. The Inset II is ok to use as long as the white pull back plastic spring locks into place...there have been some faulty sets issued that have been returned and replaced. The Inset 30 is great to use with no trouble and comes housed inside an insertion device. I can use this set in most areas except in backside so OH helps me. It has a long introducer needle but only about 8mm of it actually enters the skin and the introducer itself is very thin, so dont be put off. The Comfort is a manual 30 degree angle set so no insertion device. The Contact D is a 90 degree steel needle set with a pigtail connection along the tube to join it to the main pump tube. It has a self adhesive pad to keep the steel needle in place and another piece of adhesive to keep the pigtail connection stuck to the skin. I tend to just stick the pigtail adhesive to a piece of clear polythene and then using scissors, I cut around it........this prevents more adhesive being stuck on my skin than necessary and I enables me to unclip the pump tube from the pigtail ok. My main reason for choosing the Vibe so a cost effective way of using Dexcom G4 which I havent ventured as yet but will do come May most likely. So do have a good look at the Vibe and use it in daylight before you decide......

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Overall the Vibe is a solid pump with very few snags. A few minor irritations is all. I agree with what @iHs said though my personal preference is for the Inset II and Contact D rather than the Inset 30. The main point is you've got a variety of infusion sets available to suit different tastes.

Reactions: 2 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Don't worry @Spiker I haven't actually bought the Dexcom, I only had it on loan for a week from the diabetic clinic! ;-) I now know that the CGM is a VERY important tool and has helped me make my mind up about the Vibe. :)

@iHs Thank you so much for all that information. I think I had the Inset 30 when I trialled the Animas Vibe (small round pod where you press both sides and it fires cannula in automatically), it was virtually pain free and didn't bother me at all for the three days I was wearing it. :) I also know what you mean about the screen but I suppose there's always going to be minor niggles with all pumps & I certainly wouldn't let it put me off.

@CarbsRok, thanks for that, I will have a look on Amazon for that book! Some really great advice and tips, thanks everyone!

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tell a lie, it was the Inset II the DSN used on me, (just Google imaged it! :)) thought it was fab!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We can certainly support you with the tricks, tips and niggles if you join us as a Vibe user.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks @Spiker :) Yes, I got on really well with the Inset II insertion device & cannula. I see they do the cannula's in two different lengths as well as two different tube lengths which is handy. Not sure if I had the smaller or longer cannula but it was really comfortable to wear. Think I had the smaller tubing but not sure if I'm honest.

Just got off the phone to my DSN about my Dexcom results from the past week. She said she thinks I'm giving myself too much insulin so I'm to reduce it down. Also she's going to give me a reusable half increment pen as I'm obviously very sensitive to insulin. Can't wait to get set up on the pump!!

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on the vibe and love it. What colour did you choose? Mine is silver but I do wish they did purple

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm joining the vibe club in three weeks and cannot WAIT! When do you get yours @Spicey245 ? I haven't trialled the dexcom at all as of yet but planning on using it once I have the vibe! Currently using the libre but getting really bad skin reactions. Hope this doesn't continue with infusion sets/dexcom

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How exciting @nikkid! I am going to speak to my DSN next Tuesday so fingers crossed quite soon!

@MushyPeaBrain I wish they did it in purple too but I may go for the pink and be really girly! Lol! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Haha, I'm SO excited!! Going to speak with doc and nurses tomorrow about the Vibe!! :) Pink all the way!!! ;)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't worry @Spiker I haven't actually bought the Dexcom, I only had it on loan for a week from the diabetic clinic! ;-) I now know that the CGM is a VERY important tool and has helped me make my mind up about the Vibe. :)

@iHs Thank you so much for all that information. I think I had the Inset 30 when I trialled the Animas Vibe (small round pod where you press both sides and it fires cannula in automatically), it was virtually pain free and didn't bother me at all for the three days I was wearing it. :) I also know what you mean about the screen but I suppose there's always going to be minor niggles with all pumps & I certainly wouldn't let it put me off.

@CarbsRok, thanks for that, I will have a look on Amazon for that book! Some really great advice and tips, thanks everyone!

Thats the inset II not the 30 :)

Honestly the 30 freaks me out so much I passed out trying to insert it.

Be VERY sure you want a colored vibe, I've just returned a faulty silver one that looked ****** after 12 months - under the paint is black plastic so I've gone with black so you cant see it.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh that's interesting about the paint! :( I wonder if I just got a plain black one and just get a 'skin' for it (if there is such a thing)?

And yes, I realised after I'd posted that it was in fact the Inset II and not the 30! :) What freaked you out about the Inset 30 if you don't mind me asking? Sounds terrifying!!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes you can get skins! silicone ones, I've got red.

I'm a wimp firstly, lol. it was having to actually look at it and blugh! I kind of hold my breath during insertion even though I know it doesnt hurt.