Annual Eye Test

TC101

Hello,

Still a bit of a newbie with all this. I was diagnosed a few months back, getting on just fine, but just wondered if anyone could advise what I should expect when I have my eye test done? The appt came through quite quickly after seeing the Diabetic Nurse.

It says you shouldn't drive afterwards? Do you get blurred vision? Should I bring someone with me? What do they look for and what is a good result vs a bad result?

Sorry....loads of questions!

Thank you!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They sometimes put drops in to dilate the pupil of the eye and this can make your vision blurry for a few hours after.......hence why they say not to drive, often when you come out into the daylight it can make the eyes uncomfortable so take some dark glasses with you, you could take someone along with you for your first appointment but it shouldn't really be necessary.

Basically they are checking for conditions like Diabetic Retinopathy. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I had eye drops and told not to drive for 4 hours after so if you can get someone to take you and bring you home again it would be advisable or get public transport. The drops and tests don't hurt - nothing worse than going to the optician. As noblehead has said, take dark glasses and your eyes will be more sensitive to bright light. It really is not anything to be worried about.:).

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I had my first retinopathy test late last year. As Noblehead has said, drops are put in your eyes and you have to sit in the waiting room for 15-20 mins whilst your pupils dilate. A photogaph is then taken, which surprises you as it's so bright. I too was advised not to drive for a few hours after, so I went armed with dark glasses and arranged for a friend to pick me up. About 4 hours later I was able to drive myself back home. At the time of the photo, the nurse very helpfully showed me the results and said I had nothing to worry about. As you're newly diagnosed, I think your results will be normal. There's been no time to develop complications. :)

TC101

Wonderful!! Thank you all! Sounds like a good excuse for a new pair of sunnies! *always a silver lining*

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you need to be careful after the drops. I came outside into bright sunlight and the eye pain was excruciating.