Annual review

Dippy3103

Hi,

I have been invited to my "annual review" with the DN and my GP. I am fairly newly diagnosed (Nov 2009) and was wondering what to expect.

I have already had some bloods taken (i assume one is for HB1AC) and have had to drop off a urine sample (what are they going to test that for).

Is there anything i should be looking to discuss?

Thanks in advance- i have found this forum invaluable over the past two months- it's so nice too see so many poeple sharing their experinace and knowledge with us newbies!

D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This is the advice we give to newly diagnosed as to what to expect. Pick out what you need from here.

Here are a few questions you can ask.

What can I do to control it, diet,medication ??

Appointments to see dietician, podiatrist, retinal screening.

Test meter /strips.

Test results and what do they mean? Get a print out of the results for your own records.

Who will I be seeing the nurse or GP? If I have problem can I see either of you?

How often do I get blood tests, Hba1c/Cholesterol/ full lipid panel.. Should be every 3 months initially till in control.

Take a notebook with you and write down what you are told. If the doctor/nurse says things that you do not understand then ask them to explain it so that you can write it down.

This is your condition, your diabetes, you should be encouraged to take part in the treatment that you will be getting, not dictated to.

If you find that the doctor/nurse is unsympathetic then we suggest you find out which doctor in the practice is good with diabetes. Some doctors have a special interest in certain subjects, it’s worth finding this out.