Another insulin start related question.

ClaireG 06

Have been trying to contact both my DSN and the ultrasound dept at the hospital about this. The DSN isn't in and the ultrasound receptionist didn't have a clue :roll:
I am due to start insulin (humalog m3) on Monday. Due to very high blood pressure and a recent overnight hospital stay i am having to have various tests done. One of which is an ultrasound scan of my kidneys. The appt is Tuesday at 12.40. It says i need to be there 10 mins early so 12.30 and to allow 30 mins to find a parking space :shock: so 12 noon. My problem is eating!! I will have to leave here at 11.30ish and have been told i need to eat regularly on the insulin. My questions are:
If i eat early could i go onto hypo in the afternoon?
Should i get to the hospital early and chance i might find something that's ok for me to eat?
Would i be better to cancel the appointment?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Claire,

Am not an insulin user but have had several of these procedures over the years.

If I was you then I would take a picnic with you and eat it in the car or on a bench if it is a nice day and then your regular eating times will not be disrupted. You can test your blood sugars before eating and then you will be fine. You won't have the worry of, "What if I hypo?". Trouble with being a diabetic is you have to cover all eventualities. :roll:

Make sure you drink enough as the last time I went I had upped the fluids but when the procedure started they needed me to take more fluid before they could continue. Two cups of water later and it was OK.

It is not painful, you only undo things below your waist and it usually takes about 15 minutes.

Hope this is some help to you.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Definitely take a sandwich or something...Catherine's advice is excellent...don't cancel.

There will be more times like this in just daily routines, so you will get used to planning these things...

ClaireG 06

Thanks Catherine and DD :D
I will make sure my bloods are ok before i leave and take a picnic as you suggest :D I did check if i needed a full bladder but was told not but thanks for the warning! Glad it's a quick procedure to. I'm sure your right DD and there will be more things like this that need a bit of planning. Am already thinking about fitting cooking around having to inject 30 mins before my evening meal.

josie38

Hi claire,

Before i had my pump i used to set a timer, say if i was cooking a casserole, to go off 30 mins before it has finished cooking. With a roast dinner i would inject before i started doing the last things like stuffing or yorkshire puds (sumat like that). I had a couple of mis-haps with takeaways, injecting at right time but food being delivered late. At first it can be a bit daunting having to think about injecting as well but when you time your cooking it does become easier!

Josie