Another new T2

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi,

I was diagnosed just about 6 weeks ago with Type 2 with quite high numbers on my glucose intolerance test. I know very little except that I feel rotten!

I am waiting to see a consultant at the hospital. GP says they cannot help me as they could make things worse and have referred me to the local hospital on for various appointments – so far I have seen the podiatrist and the practise diabetic nurse and been to have my retinas photographed.

I have pains in my feet and ankles and two of my toes have no feeling at all and spasmodic loss of feeling in other parts. My vision is blurry sometimes and fine at others. I have permanent pain in my kidneys area and feel nauseous although still hungry. Raging thirst and consequently running for the loo. I have just about all the classic symptoms.

I had some small strokes over three years ago and 6 months later was diagnosed with ME after a bad bout of flu. I suspect that I have had diabetes for some years and everything else is as a consequence of that but I don’t suppose I will ever know.
The extreme fatigue which I have thought was the ME has meant that I am able to do very little, therefore have done no exercise which has not helped me.

I have an allergy to corn/maize which has made me ensure that my diet has been good and has unwittingly been the perfect for the control of diabetes – to a point. I have obviously reached beyond that point!
This allergy also unfortunately means that it is difficult to treat me when ill as most medication contains corn/maize as a filler.

It seems a long time to wait for an appointment for treatment and I have heard nothing yet. I just feel so unwell I suppose it seems longer than it is.

I have been monitoring what I eat and noting how I feel but it seems woefully inadequate and I feel that I am stumbling in the dark.

I feel better for having shared my whinge (sorry it is so long!) but would appreciate any comments or advice.

wallycorker

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and even more sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are having. I was diagnosed nine years ago and have been fortunate enough not to have suffered any of the problems that you describe.

I suppose that you will already know that the first thing that every Type 2 needs to do after cutting back on sugary foods is to cut back on any starchy carbohydrates that they eat - i.e. cereal, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta etc. However, it is possible that you maybe won't know that because many Type 2s are advised to "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate". Then again, perhaps that is what you meant by having an allergy to corn/maize has made you ensure that your diet has been good and has unwittingly been the perfect for the control of diabetes. However, it is possible that you maybe won't know that because many Type 2s are advised to "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate".

You will get a lot of help and great advice from other people on these diabetes forums. It might help by telling people what sort of things you are eating at present. It is usually a good starting point. It is my own experience and that of many others that diet is a very powerful tool in dealing with a Type 2 diabetic condition.

Best wishes - John

Synonym

Dislikes
Thank you for replying John and for the advice.
I had worked out that I need to cut down on the starchy stuff, in spite of the advice which I did receive to eat plenty of starchy food, as I have noticed that I feel better with less. Meat makes me feel rough too but I seem to manage not too bad with a little white meat or fish. I have cut down the amounts of rice, pasta and bread and cut out sugary stuff completely. I am going for the low carb option with fresh veg and fruit. It has got to the point that I now feel rough most of the time - hey ho!
I honestly don't think I can do much more until I know definitively what effect my food is having on me. I was told that the hospital will sort me out with everything I need - whatever that is.
Is it normal to have to wait weeks for treatment?

wallycorker

Hi again,

Your choice of fruit and veg is a great one in my opinion - I eat loads of it these days. White meat and fish is a good choice too.

You sound to be on the right track already and most Type 2s get a quick improvement in blood glucose levels and soon start to feel better.

Don't really know about the length of time because that varies a lot. In any case, the first thing that is likely to be suggested is to try is dietary changes and in my opinion that is the most powerful tool. You seem to be well into that. The checks that you have already had are quite standard for all diabetics and you are likely to have them at regular intervals usually every year.

Just stick with what it sounds you are doing and keep asking the questions that you feel you need answering. There are plenty of people around that will offer you any help that you need. Also, there is a lot to read on the forum already.

Best wishes - John

Synonym

Dislikes
John,
Thank you for listening yesterday when I hit my lowest point so far; you were very encouraging.

A diabetic friend has now taken me by the scruff and given me the low down on low gi and following that advice I feel much better today. Not hitting the high spots yet but hopefully that will come.

In my area the lead-in time to my getting treatment is apparently 12 weeks from referral and as I discovered today that it didn’t go to my GP for signing until a month after I received the diagnosis I reckon I just have to resort to DIY. Shades of things to come perhaps. :( :roll:

mikey

Synonym.
did you get a blood glucose meter to help you see what you diet is doing for you?
It's so important to learn to eat things that don't spike your blood glucose and a meter will teach you what to avoid.
I'm really sorry to hear what you are going through but if it's any consolation, there are lots of people on here who have made great improvements in their condition and John is one of them.
Please keep in touch and keep asking questions.
Best regards,
Mike.

Synonym

Dislikes
Hi Mike

I have not been given anything except a booklet about diabetes and instructions to eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate. I innocently accepted that the latter was superior knowledge and complied; with the result that it all made me feel much worse than before.
I have spent some time browsing the posts here and have learned a lot – thanks everybody! My reading has taught me that there is such a thing as spikes but it is all still pretty much gobbledegook. I am hoping that I will be able to sort it out as it all sounds so complicated. :?

A friend who is a T2 helped to point me in the low GI direction for which I am really grateful. Today I have done a speedy reversal in the starchy carbs department and I am starting to feel a bit better. The kidney (?) pain is now down to a dull ache and I am not feeling so sick so hopefully I will be able to sleep tonight.

I have not received anything to test anything. I have been told that all will be dealt with by the hospital.

Last week, 5+ weeks after diagnosis, I went to the GP who deals with diabetics in our surgery and asked him how long before I could expect an appointment and was told that he would ask one of the staff to find out. Today, when I had still not received a telephone call to let me know, I telephoned the surgery. I managed to find out from one of the secretaries that it had only just been sent to the hospital so I should expect to be seen within 12 weeks from the time that they receive the referral. So I guess I am on my own for Christmas at that rate!

I am changing tack and will ring the hospital direct tomorrow – I don’t want to be labelled a troublemaker before I have even met them but this is my life and my health that I am concerned with so I feel I must do what I can.

wallycorker

I must say synonym that the way that you are being treated doesn't sound very good at all - especially considering the problems that you are encountering. I'd certainly advise that you push your case at the hospital and also keep visiting your GP's surgery to keep pushing for them for more action.

However, at the same time, I suggest that you do keep on with what you are doing now and listen to your friend's advice because he sounds to be helping to point you in the right direction.

Best wishes - John

Synonym

Dislikes
Thanks for that John. I have to say that I let out one heck of a scream when I made that discovery today and then wondered if I was over-reacting. I don't think I was but with the encouragement I am receiving I am feeling more confident about pushing for help.

My white coat syndrome doesn't help but I am striving to overcome it! :)

Synonym

Dislikes
A mini triumph - I have now got an appointment for the beginning of December! I phoned straight to the hospital clinic and they were really helpful.

Going for low GI carbs and keeping them down to the minimum has resulted in less pain and nausea so life is starting to get better. It has been great to be able to delve into all the collective knowledge on this site - thank you everybody! :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
synonym
someone has already suggested that a lood gglucose meter would help you to find out what's happening..
It might be worth your while to call up one of the suppliers and ask if they have a free meter you could have. Bayer were giving some away recently.
then at least you would know something whilst waiting for an appointment. I would make a complaint about the delay. It's dreadful
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Hi Hana
I am such a woos (if that is how you spell it?) that I haven't got round to doing that yet. :roll: I must and I will!
I don't know anything but I suppose that getting the numbers down is the name of the game. I wasn't told what my numbers were and mean to extract them asap so that I have a yard stick. I will let you know how I get on... just hope the instructions are idiot proof. Unfortunately my thinking mechanism got a bit fried with the last stroke so it takes great efforts to accomplish anything like this. :oops:
The hospital clinic staff were much more concerned than my gp but even then it does seem a long time to be hanging on in there - perhaps there are loads of others much worse than I am.

wallycorker

Synonym said:
A mini triumph - I have now got an appointment for the beginning of December! I phoned straight to the hospital clinic and they were really helpful.

Going for low GI carbs and keeping them down to the minimum has resulted in less pain and nausea so life is starting to get better. It has been great to be able to delve into all the collective knowledge on this site - thank you everybody! :D
All that sounds great Synonym - glad things are improving!

John

Synonym

Dislikes
I was really starting to feel better yesterday but today I am back to square one.
I ate my porridge this morning with the usual cinnamon and a teaspoon of mixed seeds and a little goat’s milk and a small glass of fruit juice. I had an apple with some herbal tea mid morning and at lunch time I had some beans on one slice of toast with just water to drink - and lots of that during the day. I am back to feeling really rotten again with pain in both kidneys now and pain in my stomach and feeling so sick. Clearly it is not ok for me to have carbs for breakfast as well as for lunch. I was hungry mid afternoon so had 2 celery sticks but even that has left me with a salty mouth. What I am eating doesn’t seem excessive but I just don’t know. I am about to eat my dinner of stuffed peppers but I am beginning to be afraid to eat anything.

My other half and I have just analyzed that I am trying to work out a very difficult path between low fat, low carbs, low gi, and non maize with no cows milk products although I can manage goat’s milk products. I find meat hard to stomach but can manage a little white meat and fish.

I just wonder if it is normal to be feeling so unwell when first diagnosed and is it normal to be left to cope with that on your own for weeks until your name comes out of the hat? Is this what everyone experiences?

I tried to get a monitor today but no joy at our pharmacy and nothing at the surgery either. I entered my name into the draw for a free monitor so I may get one of those but I note that it says they only send them to those who have been told to test so only time will tell. My T2 friend says that I may get a monitor from the draw or from the diabetic nurse but will only get strips and lancets on prescription so it would seem I will not be any further forward.

I cannot get an appointment to see any doctor or nurse that I know until 9th November so I am going to see someone I don’t know next Wednesday 4th but there is no other appointment available unless I ring up at 8.30 in the morning. That is the time when everyone rings and you cannot get through or if you do the appointments have all gone.

The gp surgery rang me today to tell me that I will get a hospital appointment in about 12 weeks time. They clearly had not even bothered to ring the hospital as I had requested to push for an earlier appointment. If they had they would have been told that I had now been given an appointment because I had phoned myself. Before she rang off I did tell her that I had phoned the hospital myself and thanks to my own efforts had got an appointment, thank you.

I am trying hard not to feel victimised but this is how I am starting to feel. I am also finding it extremely difficult not to get scratchy with people but I am managing to keep my dignity so far.

captainlynne

The manufacturers are only too happy to send you a free meter, if you ring them. But, like lots of us, you may then have to buy the strips and lancets if your gp won't prescribe them.

Abbott will supply you direct, for much less than the chemist, or you can look on Ebay.

Lynne

wallycorker

Hi again Synonym,

I can't really advise on how you feel because I was diagnosed in the very early stages and never went through what you are going through.

In my opinion, I'd quite simply cut back as far as you can on the sugars and carbs in your diet until your situation stabilises and/or you find out exactly where you are. There could very well have been quite a lot of sugar/carbs in that breakfast. Orange juice isn't good - or anything else containing sugar in liquid form.

I'd worry less about the fat in your diet at this stage because that won't have any effect on your blood glucose levels.

Best Wishes - John

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Synonym

I just wonder if it is normal to be feeling so unwell when first diagnosed and is it normal to be left to cope with that on your own for weeks until your name comes out of the hat? Is this what everyone experiences?

The symptoms you have described could be down to Hyperglycaemia (high blood sugars) but could also be unrelated to your Diabetes.

It is not normal and I would ask that you forget about diet and things for now but get down to your GP and discuss this asap. You should not be suffering in this way at all. Get it checked out now.

Synonym

Dislikes
Cugila

Thank you for confirming that, it certainly doesn't feel normal. I haven't managed to get an appointment until next Wednesday as I haven't been able to come up on the morning lottery at the gp surgery yet. Will keep trying but at least I have got the Wednesday appt.to fall back on.

I have just returned home from a trip to our nearest big town where I managed to get a bg monitoring system - hurrah!! I have cut my carbs down to the minimum today and will start my testing tomorrow morning first thing so that I have a full day of monitoring. Hopefully I will now be able to start finding the picture.

Synonym

Dislikes
John

I just realised last night just how much carbs and sugars were in that breakfast so I won't do that again in a hurry, I will stick to whole fruit in very small quantities. Will be interesting to see what the monitor tells me.

Desperation levels are beginning to wane!

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Synonym

Other than the glucose tolerance test, did your GP do any other blood work? I always make sure that I get a copy of my blood results so that I have my own record. If you are having kidney problems, they may show up in the blood results.

Regards

Doug