Another Newbie on the Information Trail

evilgenius77

Hi Guys,
Well 2 days after being told I have Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, fatty liver deposits, arthritis, and that that was enough information for the moment, I am close to giving up and living in oblivion!!
Obviously this is not an option as I have good reasons for not quitting :D

Anyway, I have spent hours traipsing round stores trying to find the suger free, fat free, flavour free stuff that has been advised, but I am wondering if I am doing enough.

The fasting blood test came back at 8.9 (I have no idea what this means) nor do I know what it should be. I have spent hours trawling the internet looking for information and researching as my doctor gave me this information and pretty much kicked me out.

So far, everything I have read has confused me a touch more.

If anyone could explain/advise/suggest anything that would help I would appreciate it greatly.

Oh one last thing (for now) is it worth getting a home blood monitor thing, and hubby is nagging I should get a braclet thing in case i get hit by a bus!! (I know, 2 questions, sorry)

Many thanks in advance.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Welcome Evil ! Apologies for delay in reply but I was blinded by your green font and have only just got vision back lol !
OK, best thing to do is try to reduce carbs, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc. Don't panic, I said reduce, not give up ! Exercise will help ! Also, without meaning to appear rude or presumptious, losing any excess weight can help too !
Have you been prescribed any meds yet ? As for blood glucose monitor, a lot of companies will provide them free as it's the strips that are expensive. If you can afford them, they can help ! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

evilgenius77

Hey Mo,

thanks lol didnt realise it was a bright green :)
I do carry some excess weight, which in itself is another issue, no stomach muscles as they were damaged when my son was born.
I walk frequently (Get a boxer, german shepherd and some kids, fantastic exercise)
generally eat brown bread, dont like sweets, cakes or other "bad" stuff, and Im abnormal, I detest chocolate :mrgreen:
Thank u for the additional info, appreciate it :D

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hey, Welcome, you are amongst friends, where you are now we have all been so we know how it feels, for me 2 monthsish ago and wow does it change things, it's not all bad though and it all gets clearer and feels better as time passes and you learn more, I honestly thought I was dieing at first but here I am, diet is very important and way to complicated to explain in this post, I would suggest you read loads, there's so much to learn I read all the time and find out new things everyday often many things a day but for now don't panic! Relax and take it slowly, any questions about what you read, just ask, the folks here are amazing, as previously said for now, cut out sweet things (you are definatly sweet enough) and avoid rice pasta bread and potatoes until you decide how you want to play things, no one can tell you the best diet to eat because there are infinite choices, very much good luck!
Andy

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi evilgenius and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I think you will find it useful to find out how to look after yourself the best way possible. Members here will help you all they can if you ask questions.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Don't panic; we have all been thru the same process so shock, surprise, confusion and so on. First, your fasting test of 8.9 isn't too bad. Ideally it would be nearer to 7'ish, but the better test will be the HBa1C test which your GP may well do in 3 months time; it measure your average sugar over the previous 3 months. The fasting test result can be influenced a bit by your liver dumping glucose overnight so may vary a bit anyway. Yes, do get a meter as it helps you take control by knowing which foods affect you most. With regard to food, you have already been given good advice by posters. Don't worry about fat despite it being said to be 'the bad guy'. In sensible quantities it is fine and isn't directly responsible for your cholesterol levels and it's carbs that will contribute to weight gain rather than fats; just be sensible overall on portion sizes. Many of us might suggest something like fried egg and bacon for breakfast for example. It sounds like you already have quite a good diet. Don't worry about a bracelet yet. In the future should your blood sugar go higher and you start to take tablets then you may choose to have a bracelet. Hopefully with a small shift in diet your sugars should move to near normal for a good few years yet. If any meds are needed then Metformin may be started which is a good, very safe drug which most of us have.

evilgenius77

Hey guys and thank you all so very much for the information.

I am now 4 days after being given my sentence (apologies, I use my humour :D ) and I have been good. Ive cut out sugar in everything and replaced with canderal. Not had any fried food (which I dont like anyway) and have been eating little meals more frequently.
Fruit, mostly bananas have played a huge part, as has salad and veggies and lean meat.
Curiousity got to me this evening after I munched through a plate of egg salad, and out came the scales....

On Wednesday when I saw my GP and was given my results, I was asked to step on the doctors scales, my weight at that point was the highest it has ever been (18st 8lbs) that in itself was a shock and helped spurred me to action.....

Anyway, this evenings weigh in resulted in a weight of 17st 5lbs!!!! Neither me or my husband could believe how much weight I have lost in only 4 days!!!

I haven't yet found out where to get the blood monitor thing from (may try boots tomorrow) but I feel much more positive that I will be able to cope with this, and no longer see it as the end of the world :clap:

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Hi Evil,

Like you I am finding my way round the good food/bad food minefield. Two foods that I really love were (bad English I know) bananas and grapes. Guess which two fruits are bad for diabetics? Be wary of bananas they contain about 3 to 4 cubes of sugar. I am not sure about the sugar content in grapes, but I bet it's nearly as high.

Just keep searching this forum for good advice.
Lee