1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Another Newcastle Diet

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by douglas99, Nov 2, 2014.

1. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    #1 douglas99, Nov 2, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Good luck Douglas, but rather you than me. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Scandichic

Scandichic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Go Douglas! Hugs!

• Like Like x 2
  4. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

It is all down hill from here douglas so keep going. You could try and find a more protein/fat shake instead of carb as that will help with the ketosis although you are probably burning it nicely. Have you tested with any keto sticks?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kezzer4321

Kezzer4321 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am not sure this is something I could handle. Good luck and be careful.

• Like Like x 3
  6. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@douglas99 I am just nicely concerned or interested in your comments "I'm certainly glad I got the dive trips out of the way first," & "I'm going to be converting those muscles, and the internal fat into energy,"
    I am guessing you dive in deep water etc; so I would think you need good lungs and strong muscles, (good idea to turn internal fat into energy).
    I suppose My question is? Would this diet affect your sport activities short term or even long term.
    ( my interest is in connection with coaching )
    Best of luck and keep it up until you achieve your mission.

• Like Like x 2
  7. izzzi

Thanks for that, I glad that muscle wastage should not be affected long term.
    Somehow I don't think you are going to get into deep-water over this diet.:D

• Like Like x 2
  8. whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You seem well able to stick to the rgours of the diet, Douglas. What are your targets, or do you aim to complete the 8 weeks and see what turns up?
    I stopped after 5 weeks as I hit my targets and apart from one Kilo back on, Ive maintained the results for a month or so now.

Good Luck!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Kezzer4321

Kezzer4321 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Douglas, you seem to be doing amazingly well. I am not sure I have the will-power for this type of diet restriction. I love your positive outlook about food, and was an avid reader of your other thread as well. Its seems that diabetes has really give you a whole new outlook on life which I hope will be catching. So thank you for sharing your results and your thoughts.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Scandichic

Scandichic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's going well! Big hugsx

• Like Like x 3
  11. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Douglas - do you know you have 'hidden' fat left to lose? I was just wondering if you had ever had scans to show up visceral fat? (I haven't) Also as you say your BG's seem to stay pretty much in the 'normal' range now, wouldn't that indicate that maybe the visceral fat has gone already?

12. izzzi

Just out of curiosity, I washed hand and tested. 7.5 then walked back to kitchen washed hands again then with new needle etc; retest revealed 8.1.
    Not to sure if this info; helps, as I just had breakfast. However the time gap between the test was 70 seconds. ( I know meters can vary etc)

If this Newcastle diet is working well, and you have commitments in the next few weeks regarding your fitness. Will you have to make some kind of change to be prepared for those events.

I think your on to something good in what your doing.

13. andcol

Retired Moderator

Hi Douglas I find I go up to a level now (8.1) and generally sit at that level for a period and then come down. If I exercise I will bring it down but it does pop back up as you are seeing. I have put this down to a corrected feedback loop with my body now properly controlling the rate of digestion of the carbs into glucose. This was obviously deficient previously as it would let my system spike up and now it doesnt. I wrote about this in a previous post where I have chicken, chips, bread and butter pudding, custard,... and I stayed from 1 to 3 hours at 8.1 and then 10 mins after the 3 hours I was in the 5s with no exercise. I think this may be what you are seeing. By using some glucose it allows your body to provide you with a little more and therefore the see-saw. Well that is my hypothosis

14. andcol

Retired Moderator

Not with lucozade but I have eaten liquorice, cola bottles, halva etc. Don't forget you have to bring your carb levels back to "normal" before doing it. I just don't pig out on them when I do have them like I used to (ie eat a whole bag of wine gums in one go).

15. izzzi

Saint Emilion , that is medicine at its best.
    Have you experienced mood swings to a noticeable scale.
    Putting weight to one side,I can still see a cleanse benefit to the pancreas and kidneys etc; from your diet.

16. andcol

Retired Moderator

Are you asking me @izzzi? When I did the very low calorie phase I did notice that I really quickly moved to a state that when I laid down my stomach would collapse in so that it was below my ribs even though I still had a lot of fat under the skin (large waist). Generally my stomach went from a hard mass to a soft foam ball. I am pretty sure that meant that I had driven off all the fat from my liver and pancreas

• Like Like x 2
  17. izzzi

Sorry @Andrew Colvin I should have referred it to @douglas99, I am following Douglas's Newcastle with great interest.
    Mind you Andrew you have given me great info from your post and threads,thanks for that.
    The angle I am coming from is that I never had a weight issue when I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2, Therefore I did not have to reduce weight to control my diabetes. yet like most people, previous to my diagnoses I was eating junk food.

• Like Like x 2
  18. andcol

Retired Moderator

Yes Douglas I have the same - I have absolutely no fat on my hands, feet, arms, legs, bum or head and the only fat I have left is just under the skin on my torso. That is much harder to shake so it seems and I still have quite a lot of it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cold ethyl

cold ethyl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Interesting that you talk about weight loss on feet and wrists etc. I'm big framed even though only 5 ft 3 and 1/2 and can't remember when I could last span my wrist- I now can. I have also lost about half a size in shoes since May- I've not yet dropped to the calorie levels of the ND, but think I'll give it a go in New Year to shift final weight.

20. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Douglas

Well done on your efforts. I did wonder if you meant it when you said you would do Newcastle diet in November. I should not have doubted you.

A word of caution: when you stop Newcastle, do it gradually. Reintroduce foods slowly, especially the carb stuff, including alcohol.

For anyone contemplating Newcastle diet, but doesn't want total food replacement method, then I suggest the products available online 'Shake that Weight'. These were recommended to me by forum member @paulins, who has been very successful on Newcastle diet, having lost 8 stones and apparently reversed her diabetes. I recommend the 'Shake that Weight' products too. I have used Lipotrim TFR, and Tesco VLCD brands in the past very successfully, but the Shake that weight products are lower carb, lower calorie, bigger variety, cheaper, and you are still able to eat a normal meal and remain below 800 calorie threshold.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook