Another (non) weightloss thread

bufferz

Ok, I have been going the gym for 5 weeks now, whilst also low-carbing. I do 30mins cardio on the bike, then a range of weights (Lats, Pecs, bi/triceps, chest press, ab curls, rowing) then 5 mins on the stepper (no more cos it hurts and im knackered at the end of the 5, lol), then 30 mins on the treadmill. My heart rate sits in the 140-150 zone on the cardio times. So that's 1.5 hrs in the gym 3 times a week. Obviously I'm putting shedloads of muscle on, but the weight aint shifting, in fact i think i may have put half a kilo on! :thumbdown:

If anything, im expecting it to fall off cos my low-carb intake is ridiculously low in both carbs and calories too. Currently on approx 50g carbs a day, typical days meal is scrambled egg or fruit ( couple of apples or couple of bananas), canned soup (where most of the carbs come from) and a piece of meat and veg, with a snack of cheese (2 thin slices) and some slices of ham or similar meat as snacks. The wife reckons its no coming off cos im not eating enough calories, but at the same time, im not hungry on that amount of food...?

In a related matter, i do tend to fall asleep about an hour after the gym session, but my BGs are ok....is that simply my body recovering from the workout? And at my last hb1ac thingy was told my iron was low (12.7 instead of 13) but that DOES seem to be cos ive gone from sitting on my lardy behind for years to doing that in the gym 3 times a week!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Are you measuring yourself? Sometimes the scales don't shift but the measurements do, funny that!

Elc1112

The extra weight could be muscle rather than fat so you may find that you gain a little bit of weight to start with. Might also be worth seeing a personal trainer if you are able to - they'll be able to suggest some variations on your workout to make sure you achieving your goals. You could also try running on the days when you're not at the gym (if you use an iPhone there is an app called couch to 5k or something like that - it's quite good if you're new to running). Keep at it and the weight should start to come off. You'll definitely notice other health benefits too :)