Anti-depressants

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong forum - have been thinking about this for days so if another forum is more appropriate then please move it.

I have lived with depression for most of my life and have been taking Amitriptyline for some years now - the prescribing of this medication was also taking into account my IBS. Recently I have realised that my depression was very bad and I have not been in a good place for some while now. Anyway, finally realised and have got several balls rolling in order to get some appropriate support. This has included visiting my GP and jointly we have decided to slowly bring down the Amitriptyline and introduce a new anti-depressant. The new anti-depressant she has prescribed is Mirtazapine and this is one I have not come across before so posting to see if anyone has been on this and for any positive advice please. I am only on day 3 so far but sadly have read some quite negative things on internet and was hoping someone on here may be able to give me some help. ;)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, no experience of that drug. From its Wikipedia page it looks like a good choice to move to from Amitriptyline. The older tricyclic antidepressants like Amitriptyline are best avoided if possible. Your new one is reportedly better than most of the SSRIs too, so it sounds good. It should be available as a generic too, which will make it less expensive hopefully. And it starts working fast.

Sorry not to have any direct experience. Maybe someone else will.

Reactions: 2 people

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Spiker, although not your personal experience the information you have found is more positive which is what I need at the moment. :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are on day 6? now you may almost be through the adaptation. Took me about 2 weeks with Citalopram (an SSRI) but your stuff is supposedly faster.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know of it either, but I hope it does the job for you and you're feeling a lot better soon :)
it's just a matter of finding one that works for you, they all have a side effect list that would choke a horse to cover themselves

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know of it either, but I hope it does the job for you and you're feeling a lot better soon :)
it's just a matter of finding one that works for you, they all have a side effect list that would choke a horse to cover themselves
Yes and I went through the list in my citalopram tablets and said "Oh dear I don't want those two side effects".....and I got them both:(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes and I went through the list in my citalopram tablets and said "Oh dear I don't want those two side effects".....and I got them both:(
a lot of them inhibit apatite as a side effect, you were just unlucky and it could settle down, it's common for side effect to last up to a month, if they are serious or go longer. you come off them and try something else
the above is just my opinion

kimmykib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Coke a cola anything too sweet an anything with dairy in as lactose intolerant
Ask for duloxetine tht is what I am on an tht help to prevent neuropathys an it really does work for me an I have heard of amtripilyne an mirtazpine but I havent had them an not sure on if there effective

I hope they work for u an keep my eyes peeled an ears open on views on the tabs x

An hope u get better hun x

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you to you all - that is just what I needed, some positive encouragement. :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hah hah. Is anyone on this forum NOT on the happy pills? :)

"You don't have to be mad to post here, but it helps." ;-)

Reactions: 8 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me the main side effect of citalopram was feeling very tired all the time, sleeping loads. And never feeling quite sharp mentally, slightly off like my IQ took a hit.

The worst part however was the withdrawal. That gets worse the longer you stay on, so @zand if they are not working for you come off sooner rather than later. LOTS of alternatives are available.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
diabetes and depression is a package deal, they just haven't worked out which comes first
it's like sexual dysfunction, half of us have it but it's seldom mentioned

Reactions: 5 people

kimmykib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Coke a cola anything too sweet an anything with dairy in as lactose intolerant
Cool spiker it has helped me too the side effects are a bit much at first but I got my dose lowered an they are helping me so much am much happier

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
diabetes and depression is a package deal, they just haven't worked out which
So I attended a DUK seminar given by a Prof from King's College. Her research strongly suggests that treatment of depressed diabetics is ineffective unless BOTH issues are treated together in a coordinated way. KCH has the lead on this within the NHS but other hospitals are starting to follow suit and deploy psychotherapists embedded within their diabetes teams.

Reactions: 6 people

Adele99

Hah hah. Is anyone on this forum NOT on the happy pills? :)

"You don't have to be mad to post here, but it helps." ;-)

Lol. I'm not , although years ago I was given Amitrytiline to help with painful neuropathy and it worked really well. But due to side effects was taken off it. Was also given Duloxetine to try for a 2nd episode of burning nerve pain in arms and legs about 7 years ago but the side effects were so bad I stopped them after 3 days. They made me feel really jittery and made my pupils absolutely huge, wasn't a good look like a deer caught in a cars headlights.

Suppose everyone reacts differently to different drugs. Potential side effects seem horrendous when you read them. I'd never heard of Diabetes burnout until. I read about it on this forum. But. I can easily see how it can occur. That's what's so brilliant about this forum, you learn loads of things every day on here.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me the main side effect of citalopram was feeling very tired all the time, sleeping loads. And never feeling quite sharp mentally, slightly off like my IQ took a hit.

The worst part however was the withdrawal. That gets worse the longer you stay on, so @zand if they are not working for you come off sooner rather than later. LOTS of alternatives are available.

Ok I've been taking them 3 weeks now. My IQ has also taken a hit, bit I'm not really tired now. My sleep is ok (was disturbed for the first couple of weeks)

I was told there would be no withdrawal problems(!) and I'll probably need them for a couple of years at least. I do feel better taking them and I don't seem to be as hungry now ( I forgot I hadn't had an evening meal tonight.) So I guess they're OK. I would like my full IQ back though. Had my first counselling session today which was very interesting.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok I've been taking them 3 weeks now. My IQ has also taken a hit, bit I'm not really tired now. My sleep is ok (was disturbed for the first couple of weeks)

I was told there would be no withdrawal problems(!) and I'll probably need them for a couple of years at least. I do feel better taking them and I don't seem to be as hungry now ( I forgot I hadn't had an evening meal tonight.) So I guess they're OK. I would like my full IQ back though. Had my first counselling session today which was very interesting.
I was also told there would be no withdrawal symptoms. Even after I read the leaflet and said "what about these side effects and these withdrawal symptoms" I was told not to worry. Maybe they think they are ethically allowed to lie to people who are depressed? Is that allowed under medical ethics?

Anyway @zand I really hope they keep working for you and you don't get any more side effects or any withdrawal effects. And I am glad counselling was good too. AD's are like the life jacket that keeps you afloat while the counselling teaches you first to tread water, then to swim. x

Reactions: 4 people