Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't want to de-rail this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20857

...so I'm starting one here.

phoenix said:
Serious answer though, anticipation, smell and taste of food stimulates insulin secretion (and gastric secretions via signals from the brain (it's called the cephalic phase) so no carbs but does have an effect!

This is not news to me, but to some I'm sure it will be.

This lends evidence the argument that diabetes (and everything that leads up to it) is the CAUSE of obesity, not a symptom of it.

You could walk past a chip shop every night for a year, and not once eat there. But if the smell causes a metabolic response, what chance have you got? The strongest willed individual will suffer the same effects as anyone else.

Seriously - what chance have we got? Even if the NHS wanted to test for it - how would they?

"Ummmm.. Do you like the smell of food? You do? Oh, you must be pre-diabetic. Better get you on statins and metformin ASAP, as a precautionary measure..."

We're all doomed.

I'm sure a lot of this will fall on deaf ears. There's quite a lot of that "blame the fatties" attitude around here. People seem to forget - we all know people that are as thin as sticks, but eat like horses. Both of my brothers, and my Dad fall into this category.

I'm very jealous of them! :wink:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Me too, Patch! I have a friend who has had 3 babies and no stretch marks - very little fat to stretch! and she can eat whatever she likes. Now me, I have no babies and enough stretch marks for three! :lol:

Viv 8)

primmers

There's is also the Tommy's funded research carried out by Prof Poston - mice born to obese mothers are more likely to become obese themselves. I've found this link

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/biohealth/ ... oston.html

but can't find the one for a seminar I attended on one of the report write ups. That found that baby mice born to obese mother mice would put on more weight for the same amount of calories ingested as baby mice of normal weight mother mice, in other words they were pre-programmed for obesity. There was discussion at the time about how such a trait would be an evolutionary advantage in times of scarcity as the offspring of obese mothers would stand more chance of surviving than the offspring of slimmer mothers. It might also explain on survival rather than male ego grounds the noted habit of some primitive community chiefs to favour obese brides.