Anxiety taking insulin in front of others

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
At school, I used to be soo anxious of taking my insulin in front of people that I wouldn't take it and unfortunately my hba1c went up to 100. To this day, I still feel terrified. I'm going on a date tomorrow and when we eat lunch, how do I even take insulin without feeling terrified. I have diagnosed generalized anxiety disorder so it is pretty serious. I guess it makes me feel a bit more normal not to take the insulin before I have food or drink. My anxiety in general is really really bad. But this one will cost me my life so I need to sort it.

Sorry for posting it again, I think posting it here would get me more answers

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know many people think using the toilet to inject shouldn't be necessary, and it isn't, because there's no reason to be anxious or embarrased to take needed medication.
However, if the anxiety is so much that it is a choice between using the toilet or not injecting at all, I'd use the toilet any time!

I think it's very brave of you to go on a date with the anxiety, well done!
I hope you'll have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Reactions: becca59

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
At school, I used to be soo anxious of taking my insulin in front of people that I wouldn't take it and unfortunately my hba1c went up to 100. To this day, I still feel terrified. I'm going on a date tomorrow and when we eat lunch, how do I even take insulin without feeling terrified. I have diagnosed generalized anxiety disorder so it is pretty serious. I guess it makes me feel a bit more normal not to take the insulin before I have food or drink. My anxiety in general is really really bad. But this one will cost me my life so I need to sort it.

Hi please dont worry about injecting in front of others ,I have been doing this for years and not one person has even noticed .The thing is not to act a if its something out of the ordinary just quietly do it after all its just a normal part of being diabetic so just look after yourself x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,
Though I empathise with what went down at school for me in my former diabetic years with where your coming from regarding your anxiety..

I'm pretty old school. Haven't done "dating" for a long time due to being married & settled for years.
However, my wife & I do eat out. Noticed the last few years most other folk are to busy looking at their smartphones?
Even on a romantic meal..? (Valentine stuff?)

Personally, I feel more "normal" if my BGs are within healthy parameters..
I have to admit, my wife & I have remarked on this. if I was in a situation on a "date" with the distraction of these smart devises in the hands of "that someone."
Lol, I doubt if I would be motivated to see them again..
However, you maybe able to use this modern phenomenon to your advantage?
I'm pretty confident I could probably put on a full un-noticed production of Starlight express whist other diners are Tweeting, "I'm in a restaurant."

Good luck with your date.

Reactions: ariaxo and EllieM

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

Not sure if this helps, but I have several times been asked by people I know how often I have to take insulin, when they found out I’m diabetic. So most people don’t mind.

Just a few days ago, I was talking with someone about vaccination, and the conversation got in the direction where I said «since I’m diabetic». And the person suddenly asked me if I had to take insulin, and when I said «yes», they asked me when I had to take it. I replied simple that I had to take it to every meal or everything I drink with carbs, and they rised an eyebrow. So I just told them that I already had injected myself 2 times earlier that day, in their presence. So the persob asking hadn’t even noticed that I had pulled up my shirt and stabbed myself with insulin, they hadn’t even noticed that I used insulin.

So moral of the story: Most people don’t bother or notice when you take insulin. But when they do, most people (unless they are kids) are understanding, and doesn’t make a fuss about you taking vital medicine, just to survive.

Even if you hav anxiety, there is NO reason to feel ashamed or bad for taking insulin. It should be as natural for a diabetic to take insulin, as brushing your teeths are to other people.

Reactions: ariaxo

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it’s nothing to do with feeling ashamed or embarrassed or not but it’s about feeling uncomfortable or not. If I’m with friends I trust and already know I’m diabetic I inject at the table discreetly and that works fine. If I’m with people who are new to me or not so close, I would eat low carb and inject later. Some restaurants have clean and spacious toilets and if so I don’t mind using toilet to inject. I also live with anxiety issues. I would say be flexible and do what you feel most comfortable and less worried. That’s how I’ve been doing and so far I’ve been managing ok.

Reactions: Antje77

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also have never been able to inject in front of others, whether I know them or not (couldn't even in front of my other half (when I last had an other half)) - I would just freeze, but I did always make sure I went to the toilet, or somewhere else where there is some privacy, yes the toilet may not the best place ever but it was that or no insulin and well no insulin is not a choice

Whether people tell me there's no need to go do it privately I am one of those that just cannot if others are around

Reactions: Antje77