Anxiety

samantha13

Does anyone suffer anxiety and use natural remedies to cope? I take citalopram and diazapam but really want to come off these tabs (mainly diazapam).

My stomach is in knots with nerves/anxiety atm but really trying to hold off.

I've suffered anxiety/depression for 6 years now and it's increased atm as I'm off work sick with work related stress. I am seeing a cognitive behavioural therapist which is helping loads but am interested to hear how others cope.

Thanks for reading

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@samantha13 I used to get anxiety (after cr*p happened in my life) and I'm a natural worrier anyway.

I found mindfulness and breathing exercises helped enormously, and has had a lasting effect :)

Reactions: 3 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find Reiki can help a lot I go and have that done occasionally, meditation is great too.
I used to be on tablets years ago but I felt they made me very 'numb' to everything and didn't like it so was gradually weened off them by the doctor.. I'm yet to find anything that makes a huge difference that I feel happy with if that makes sense xx

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@samantha13 - Hello:). I have suffered with Depression/Anxiety for nearly 6 years. I take Lofepramine 70mg daily, 2 at night and 1 in the morning. I have had 2 lots of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy - of 6 weeks, 16 weeks + 4 monthly, 2 x 10 weeks courses of Mindfulness/Meditation, got the books and DVD.:)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @azure I'm actually reading a wee book on mindfulness atm. Takes a bit of practice hopefully I'll get there

Even a few minutes a day can help. The breathing is a kind of anchor when you feel you're being thrown about on a rough sea. I find it calms me down a lot.

There are lots of books about mindfulness. I think it's a question of finding one (or more) that you can identify with, and that has useful information. There are CDs too, but you have to find one where the person's voice doesn't grate on you : D

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Valerian or HTP-5 have had good reports......

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I have done CBT over the years and have done therapy and have been on and off of anti depressants for over ten years. I suffer with chronic Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)

I am now on an anti depressant called Duloxitine. The difference with this particular anti D is that it is actually licensed to be used for GAD. For me the anxiety is far far worse than the depression. The anxiety can be absolutely debilitating.

I have now been using Duloxitine for about three months and it has taken the edge off the anxiety. It is still very much there but I am without doubt managing a lot better on this medication and through some very challenging weeks than I believe I have done on others.