1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

any advice on starting basal bolus

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by totsy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hya all,
    after lots of me moaning it looks like im going to be doing basal bolus instead of just lantus,in 2 weeks im seeing dietician to be taught carb counting and should be able to start basal bolus soon after,has anyone any advice for me as im a tad scared of the change
    any tips will be great
    thankyou in hopeful advance :D

2. Stuboy

Stuboy · Well-Known Member

Best peice of advise is to test test test!! especially when you're starting a bolus regimen... it's so important to test...

3. fergus

fergus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi totsy,

I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest. The advantages easily outweigh the disadvantages and, privided you test regularly, your control should be much better than on Lantus alone. The freedom to vary what and when to eat, and the ability to correct a slightly wayward blood sugar in only a few minutes is the next best thing to a proper pancreas!

All the best,

fergus

4. Katharine

Katharine · Well-Known Member

Look on it as a jag of freedom.

Freedom to eat what you want. The lower the carb, the less insulin, the more predictable the result of course.

Freedom from complications. You get much better blood sugar control when you use insulin to cover meals.

5. totsy

great,
    im so excited as im sick of constantly throwing hypos,i will be asking lots once im on it,thankyou :D

6. chocoholic

chocoholic · Well-Known Member

I think I'll be asking similar questions too totsy, as I do the changeover to basal/bolus. I'm really nervy that I'll mess up and lose the control I have.

7. totsy

hya chocoholic,
    when u starting??
    be good to do it together :D

8. chocoholic

chocoholic · Well-Known Member

Not got a date yet, totsy but here's hoping we'll both benefit from the change.

9. totsy

good luck hunni :D

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook