Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Esther1411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I am wondering if there is anyone who could advice me. I had a meeting with a diabetologist a few months ago and she recommended that I try a pump to gain better control. I have done a bit of research and feel that I could benefit as I am really struggling to get my HBA1c down. Anyway to cut a long story short the nhs did not renew her contract and there is no replacement so the idea has been shelved.

What I am wondering is if I would be allowed to attend another hospital in another area (say London, I am in brighton so not too far) to get my pump, I would like to assume this would be funded by my area trust??

Has anyone had similar issues? any suggestions ?

The doctor was a fantastic diabetologist and has now apparently left us for Canada - a great loss for us imo.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Esther

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone should be able to refer you to somebody!
I know that the pump team at my hospital are also the pump team for two others so maybe some other consultants will be covering your clinic too.
Hope it gets sorted!

Indiana x

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you had the process started you would think its just a case of you telling him that your old doctor was wanting to get a pump for you and he can start the process again.....

if the last doctor was up for it, then there must be a good chance of getting funded you would of thought.......

I would try and talk the remaining consultant round, so arm yourself with all the information and march in there........;)

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Esther

If you had a meeting with the previous consultant there should have been notes made/typed up and put in your hospital notes covering what was discussed and any outcomes. I would give your diabetes department reception a ring and ask who is taking over your care. Do you have a DSN at the hospital you could talk to about where you stand with the request to use a pump?

I hope you get something sorted. The funding request for a pump would be dealt with by your home area CCG. Good luck