Any harm in taking more Metformin

zanc

I have been diagnosed Type II abound six months ago, and with strict diet control I manage to have under 6 BS levels while taking 1 500mg metformin with meals in the evening. If I took more metformin would I be able to reduce my BS levels even further and what would the long term consequences be of its effectiveness. I intend to stay on the strict (low-carb) diet but it would be nice to lower the levels as much as possible.

Further, I have noticed that since joining a gym and exercising 3 times a week (1/2 hour aerobic & 1/2 hour resistance) my BS levels have been less stable, and an hour after exercising goes from about 5.5 to over 7. Anyone had this happen to them. It could be because I may be eating more because of the exercise.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Zanc,

Your first question is one that only your doctor is qualified to answer. You should never tinker with your meds without first checking with your Dr.

Re your second question, if you are on a low carb diet then eating more shouldn't raise your BS unless you are eating proportionately more carbs after exercise. A possibility could be that the exercise has dropped your BS levels down to hypo level so that your liver produces glycogen, which is converted into glucose in the blood. This is the body's natural defence mechanism against hypos.

martinbuchan

I have been told that metformin works better the more muscle mass you put on. Also, general exercise lowers sugar levels immediately and also a few hours later. You might be experiencing a release of stored muscle sugar from glyogen. Your diabetic team and dieticians can give you advice about it. They should change your meds as they see fit.

Marty B

zanc

Hi Dennis

I had no intention of increasing the dosage without seeing the diabetic nurse (never seen the doctor regarding my diabetes), I just wondered what would be the effect, both long and short term, of increasing the dose.

martinbuchan

Effects- some bowel upset possibly. Very rare side effects are possble (lactic acidosis). You also have to stop MF prior to a surgical procedure.

If you can tolerate it, MF is a useful drug. Can helpto reduce weight as well.

Marty B

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hi Zanc,

It seems to me that you're doing very well in such a short time. I don't think 6 months is very long and everything seems to be going in the right direction. We all respond in so many different ways to medication, diet and exercise and these responses take different amount of times. I'd leave well alone. See what your doc/nurse says when you next see him/her.

Good luck,

Russ