Any Ideas? Actos & Amaryl

Giblet

Hi All,

After having kept my A1c under control for 18 month, the last one was up from 6.7 to 8.8 :shock: . Now I had already decided to plead with the doctor to change me from Metformin when I went to see him because I have never lost the awful stomach cramps and terrible diahorrea even on the SR version. My diet hasnt changed and I'm still being careful with carbs. Anyway I managed to see our "diabetic" doctor who changed my medication to a combination of Actos and Amaryl. Can anyone tell me how long i would expect to have to take these drugs to see any appreciable decline in my blood sugars. the only thing I have noticed is a slight lowering of morning levels but still not good, probably around 8.8. Oh and miracle of miracles, she gave me a prescription for test strips...what a love, I usually buy them :(

banjo brunette

Hi Giblet
When I started the glimepiride (Amaryl) it took so long to kick in that I asked my friendly neighbourhood pharmacist how long it took to get up to speed and she suggested up to 10 days (I'd been taking it just over a week by then) and this turned out to be about right for me. Don't know what the literature says about this, but that was my experience.

Cheers, BB :D

PS it does work - I came off mine for a week recently as an experiment (not recommended but I was bored) and my BG levels went up from 4-6 average, to 6-8. I'm low-carbing and wasn't a happy bunny so I went back on them within the week and my levels came back down again almost immediately.