Any ideas? Bouncing bg

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1395428150.103973.jpg

I seem to be bouncing up and plummeting a lot last day or two since going to the gym (only thing that's changed recently.)

Should I reduce basal and if so how much? Went gym weds... How long could this last?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, you have a cgm!! When did that happen? Is it on loan? (Sorry, can't answer your question - I'm as new to it as you!)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having problems with mainly lows lately, was high this morning but that was just my stupidity lol. This week I have had to lower my bolus and my basal has gone from 11. Something to currently 8, doesn't sound alot but, 1~2 units is making a massive difference currently. Weather warmer (although not much) so putting it down to that. Hoping to have suitable levels this evening to basal test since my reductions from last night. Only way too see

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, you have a cgm!! When did that happen? Is it on loan? (Sorry, can't answer your question - I'm as new to it as you!)

I've had it almost constant since having the pump. It's like my safety blanket!! It's very handy always but especially at the moment :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can't see the hours on the cgm, but to me looking at it you are having some massive increases and drops.

Without further information it is impossible to help further. It all depends upon your eating times above all else, then exercise times and how long for.

Your levels are going very high.. And then plummeting..how long have you been on pump for?

If you could give 24 hours of 2 hourly levels and times of eating and times of eating then I could help, along with others but the photo does not give relevant details, besides that you have a cgm.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, your graph is presumably in mg/dl. Obviously 50 is too low but the spike isn't really that bad at max 150.
If the ends of your graph represent late evening and overnight (I keep looking but get a crick in my neck!) then I would look at decreasing basal overnight by just a little (maybe just 0,1 an hour) see what happens and then look into the bolus At what time is the biggest spike?
Sorry, forget this!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It says mmol on it though Phoenix. Hard to see but aren't the readings 5.0, 7.5 etc?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It says mmol on it though Phoenix. Hard to see but aren't the readings 5.0, 7.5 etc?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Well, I've just had a glass of wine but I read the scale as 25- 225.! But you are right, on closer inspection I see the decimal point! Sorry, scrap what I said/

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep there is a point there, only seen it after you said that lol. I presume that the spikes are when your eating racing 10~15 then crashing after. If so, then.the peak of the good, isn't matching the peak of the insulin. How long do you bolus before eating? Just a thought.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok the measurements are in mmol as lucie said, timings are over 24 hours. Each peak is where I have eaten the first being cereal (it was exacerbated as a peak because I had some coke to take me above 5 to drive)

Second peak was lunch a salad and some nuts followed by a ripple as blood was hovering too low. 3rd peak a mini bag of jelly babies no insulin (30g of carbs) and blood dropped like a stone after.

Bolus as about to eat normally. Actually not too worried about hight of peaks as they don't stay for more than 10-15mins. Been on pump/CGM since nov.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Your insulin.. Is it set up to act so long? Accuchek pump comes standard at 5 hours..but this doesn't equate to my body at all... Nor does the offsetting e...

What is yourpu p set up to?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
4 hours but insulin seems to be acting a bit quicker these days. This is all from going to the gym for about an hour weds

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
for anybody to really give you advice then you really do need to list down hourly readings from your cgm and eating times and exercise times.

iHs

Its possible now for the basal need to change due to more daylight? And warmer weather. Also the bolus as well. Have you activated all the available basal rate time slots and done some bg finger prick tests. Every 2hrs just to make sure that the basals are still ok.

If basals are still ok then look at bolus and also look at delivery. Is it on standard slow or fast?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Having looked at your cgm result and reading some of your other posts, I would have to suggest you go right back to basics and do the basal tests as were requested by your dsn. Basal testing does not mean relying on your cgm either it means doing finger stick tests recording the results and adjusting your basal to fit in with the results.
The pump will only do as you tell it.
You have given it a load of useless basal settings which show in your appalling cgm readout. Sorry my reply seems so blunt but my frustration tends to get the better of me when people are given the privilege of a pump and then do not use it as it is meant to be used.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Tbh wiith a cgm, (and I had one) they are only a guideline. You have to still do basal blood testing. Like Carbrok says, your levels are showing big swings and you definitely need to go back to basics,