Any ideas?

ClaireG 06

I'm being investigated for high blood pressure, palps and chest pain at the moment. One of the investigations included a stress test, i had this on Friday. The test involved me going on a treadmill whilst having an ecg and my bp taken at regular intervals. The test had to be stopped early as my BP was getting dangerously high. I was told by the HCPs doing the test that i should be very careful re exercise so as not to raise my BP too high.

Does anyone have any idea of any exercise i can do that won't raise my BP? I've tried doing things on the wii fit and using my BP monitor before and after and even gentle exercise on that raised my BP quite a bit :(

C

catherinecherub

Hi Claire,

You need to be careful whilst you are having tests and still have instability with your blood pressure.

This article suggests a five minute walk for the first week and increasing this amount by five minutes in the following weeks.

Once you are sorted, it will become easier for you to exercise.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/heartdisease/exercise.htm

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Claire I believe swimming as a good low impact exercise, walking is good too but do not get breathless and you really should speak with your cardiologist before embarking on any exercise especially as the stress test had to be halted.

ClaireG 06

Thanks CC and Sid :D I will discuss with my Dr before i do anything. I havn't been seen by the Cardiologist yet, not sure how long it will be.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I agree with swimming, it's good all round exercise and being immersed in water is also relaxing-although maybe not in school holidays when it's packed with kids!

ClaireG 06

I love swimming and used to go 2-3 times a week before all the problems with my BP etc started. I can barely manage a couple of lengths now though :( Am seeing my DSN this morning so will ask her if she has any advice.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried the Wii Fit Yoga? (I haven't but I know it's there!)

Obviously, with me being a MAN, I've only done Wii Fit Boxing and Baseball.

Never tried the yoga.

Never.

:oops:

ClaireG 06

Yes, i have tried the yoga. I don't suggest it for someone with coordination problems like me :lol: :lol:

Have just seen the DSN and she has just told me to go steady, be careful and not bust a gut! She suggested gentle walking and swimming so will try and continue with those.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Swimming and walking can be gentle if you know your limits, just start slowly and work-up to a level you feel comfortable with, if in doubt check with your cardiologist.

Nigel